Eye wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
mr Mag00 said:
you clearly
a) dont mtb
b)ride in country lanes

I have a nice inch long scar on my nose where a rock was kicked up by a passing car - very lucky as I didn't have my glasses on that day, and only just missed my eye, but split my nose open !

Charlotte_C+ :-)

wafflycat said:
I am currently using (mostly) some DHB shades with interchangeable lenses I got from Wiggle: these ones. I do change the lenses dependent upon ambient light. I like them.

Those arrived this morning, & they look & feel fantastic!:blush:. thank you so much for mentioning them wafflycat!;)

fossyant said:
I'm using the Bolle safety glasses as well - got given a pair at work about 18 months ago - never used them as I need 'sighted glasses'.

Bought some optical sports glasses from tesco, the inserts were fine, but the optical quality of the galsses was rubbish and the coating came off.

Spied the Bolle's on the table top - hmm wonder if my inserts will fit - bingo they did - so ordered some clear and smoke - about £6 each. As mentioned they are fully UV rated and are used on sites where welding is done - i.e. should be pretty strong.

I use these all the time, having replaced my old preseciption Bolle Edge's as these were starting to wear out.

Before I became short sighted, I wore M-Frames - blooming expensive, and went through 2 frames as they just fell appart - was the early model though.

they usually replace the frame free of charge. they did for mine. the most it will cost is a tenner to buy an 'extended warranty'.

as for getting hit by a stone in the eye... i've had a stag beetle hit the lens on a fast downhill. also numerous wasps, etc. i'd consider glasses to be more important than a helmet. if you think of a car windscreen on a summer day - all those bugs - that could be your eyes.

dark lenses are handy so people can't see you crying as you go up hills.

simonali

Guru
fossyant said:
Before I became short sighted, I wore M-Frames - blooming expensive, and went through 2 frames as they just fell appart - was the early model though.
My M-Frames that I've had since about 1990 recently broke and you have to send them back before Oakley will send you a replacement frame. The new frame was of the latest design and my old lenses didn't fit! I've just bought a new Ice Iridium lens in the States for 35 quid and the replacement frame was £14. You do the maths!

simonali

Guru
;)

Let me see then ...

I make that a total of £49.

Against the RRP of ? What do they go for nowadays, about £120? Not so dear at around a third of the price, are they?!

I'm still a little annoyed that my old lenses don't fit, though!!

RufusA

Über Member
Prescription [cheap] Eye Wear?

To hijack this thread slightly, I was wondering if there are any cheap as chips options for prescription cycling glasses.

I know Optilabs often gets a mention but the near £150 they want for glasses is much more than I want to spend!

Are there any cheap options (like the Bolle safety frames) that can take an optical insert that I can get a very simple prescription put in for peanuts?

Preferably ones that are more functional than "designer", I just want to keep cr@p out of my eyes, and see where I'm going, I don't want to look like a cheap 80's pop video!

TIA - Rufus.

wafflycat

If you want prescription specs to use as cycling ones, then you're going to be led by what your prescription is. When I did some checks for myself some time ago, the cheapest was going to be Optilabs and I have a simple prescription (single vision lenses, not very strong lenses).

The solution I've chosen, as I do the odd bit of cycling in the rain and odd bit of night cycling, is to have daily disposable contact lenses and then utilise ordinary shades. I don't use the lenses every day, so over time that reduces the cost down, as a six-month supply of lenses will last me a year.

Top Bottom