F35 crash. One down, 23 left.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thatll be another on order then. I wonder whomfoots the bill - the MoD, insurers? Do insurers cover shizzle like that? You could bet the premiums would make Rear Admiral Accy whittle a bit :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thatll be another on order then. I wonder whomfoots the bill - the MoD, insurers? Do insurers cover shizzle like that? You could bet the premiums would make Rear Admiral Accy whittle a bit :laugh:
I don't think they make the mistake of using an insurance company. Can you imagine a loss adjuster carefully inspecting a shell hole in the wing and trying to beat down the value of the claim by saying it was previous damage?

Landsurfer

Veteran
At a £100,000,000 each not only are they eye wateringly expensive but also the most useless version of the F-35 as the weight of the lift engines compromises weapon and fuel loading.
The Israelis and Americans have the best version, catapult launched from a carrier, bigger wings, nearly twice the firepower .....
Could have bought 3 F or EA -18’s for the same money. ..... or god forbid F-15’s .....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1jkF5RJsE&t=200s

Drago

Legendary Member
The USAF are buying F15s again. Very old airframe, but a 100% combat survival record to date. Of course, launching one off a carrier won't ever happen.

Our crappy flat tops and compromised choice of aircraft show what continue political meddling does. It costs what it costs, and if you want an effective package you either pay the asking price or you don't, and nothing you can do will change that.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The USAF are buying F15s again. Very old airframe, but a 100% combat survival record to date. Of course, launching one off a carrier won't ever happen.

Our crappy flat tops and compromised choice of aircraft show what continue political meddling does. It costs what it costs, and if you want an effective package you either pay the asking price or you don't, and nothing you can do will change that.
Catapults ..... the MOD thought it would be a good idea to save money by not fitting catapults .....to a carrier .....??? To**ers.. !!
The worlds most expensive helicopter assault ships .... and they got rid of HMS Ocean ......:rolleyes:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And rather durable too as this Ikey pilot found out after a mid air with another plane, landing with just one wing.

View: https://youtu.be/M359poNjvVA

JBGooner

Über Member
Catapults ..... the MOD thought it would be a good idea to save money by not fitting catapults .....to a carrier .....??? To**ers.. !!
The worlds most expensive helicopter assault ships .... and they got rid of HMS Ocean ......:rolleyes:

One advantage I've read of not having catapults is that the Carriers can actually have a much higher sortie generation rate with the F-35B, albeit with a lower average sortie duration.

Unless things have changed since I was in the Biro Commandos, the MOD doesn’t insure anything, saying the taxpayer is the cheapest insurance company. They even have special dispensation from employer’s liability insurance. Which is why having even a minor accident in an army vehicle is such a major drama.

Top Bottom