F35 crash. One down, 23 left.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
My understanding is that it's internals are 100% 21st century, and that it only looks like a 1970s jet from the outside.
First flight was 1972 but design work dated to around 1968.

classic33

Leg End Member
The USAF are buying F15s again. Very old airframe, but a 100% combat survival record to date. Of course, launching one off a carrier won't ever happen.

Our crappy flat tops and compromised choice of aircraft show what continue political meddling does. It costs what it costs, and if you want an effective package you either pay the asking price or you don't, and nothing you can do will change that.
https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/how-much-cheaper-is-the-f-15ex-compared-to-the-f-35/

What was the story of that 747 that almost didn't get off the ground as the throttles were blocked by the pilots packet of cigarettes being in the way ? Probably not true but it's a good story anyway.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
They still haven’t found it.
The sea is 1.25 miles deep at that point and the wings mean it didn’t sink straight down.
I wonder who else is looking for it?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I’ve just seen the leaked video of the crash which shows the plane barely gets to the end of the take off deck. It looks like the catapult failed.
The pilot ejects before it even left the carrier.

Or, as seems more likely, the aircraft ejected the pilot, who by that stage was just a passenger.

Badger_Boom

Über Member

Badger_Boom

Über Member
What was the story of that 747 that almost didn't get off the ground as the throttles were blocked by the pilots packet of cigarettes being in the way ? Probably not true but it's a good story anyway.
A bit like the RAF Voyager that had a bumpy ride when one of the fight deck crew’s cameras got wedged in the controls.

mustang1

Guru
Probably got fully comp with a free hire plan whilst it's in the 'shop
Hello, Direct Line, how can I help you?
Oh hello there, I just crashed my airplane, can you help me?
Yes of course, what model was it?
An F35, registered to Mr Collins of Norfolk
Great. We will get you an F18 while the 35 is assessed for repairs... Can you take it to the local body shop or will you need assistance?
Erm, assistance please. You will need a submersible.

Top Bottom