Fabulous victim blaming by London Fire Brigade.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
2709364 said:
I can only admire your optimism. I, on the other hand see it as a load of bollocks and an inappropriate cheap shot.

That's why I opened with, "You "see" what you want to in that report". :smile: I am not entirely happy with the phrasing/wording used, but that is offset by good advice at the end. I just don't see it as a contentious article.

Origamist

Legendary Member
You "see" what you want to in that report, I didn't see anything to offend me, a daily commuter.

“What they do is tuck themselves between the 150mm gap of the curb and lorry and really get themselves into places they just should not be. They are not respecting the road are getting themselves into dangerous positions. If there is a small gap just stay back.”

That is true, I see it every morning and every night. In Leeds/Bradford showing a small gap down the side of a big truck to a cyclist is like showing a small gap to a ferret.

So not only are cyclists suicidal, they are also contortionists...

I hope the cyclist in Merton recovers well.

"MarkF was injured in an incident at home over the weekend. A fire brigade spokesman said:

"We get a lot of these kind of incidents, it is really not sensible to insert your penis in a toaster".

Straightforward reporting innit.

Davidc

Guru
What has safety round large vehicles got to do with a 4x4 in a Sainsbury's car park?

Can't say for this one, no description of the collision was given in the article, but whatever transport I'm using I see far too many vehicles being moved in supermarket car parks without proper observation, at excessive (ie over 10mph) speeds, with drivers on the phone, and so on.

I don't have a problem with anyone trying to educate cyclists about how to keep out of trouble.

I do have a problem with LFB or anyone else implying that an injured cyclist is responsible for their own fate unless that is demonstrably the case.

MarkF

Guru
2709383 said:
It is not good advice though. The figure quote of 150mm is so small that you cannot fit a bike up it. Anyone who needs telling will not have learned anything of use.

I said the "advice" at the end of the article was good advice "If there is a small gap just stay back”. I also said I was not entirely happy with the wording and agree with your "150mm"comment. Still, it's just not a contentious article for me.

Dunno about the Nissan (and I had no idea the underneath got so hot) but many 4x4s rate badly for pedestrian safety and their drivers break the law more often. I guess mentioning that would be prejudicial.

Jezston

Über Member
Going to play devilled egg here but while his statement was crass and distasteful, I guess he was venting with the opportunity to complain about cyclists squeezing up the inside of HGVs.

It is something I see way too often. Worse is people squeezing up the inside of buses that are stopped and letting passengers out! And in busy cycling places like london, once one has done it so many decide they have to follow. I don't get it.

Still, it's the responsibility of the HGV to actually check once they start moving that it's clear, but this lemming like must get to the front attitude of some people could definitely do with being more aggressively tackled.

Jezston

Über Member
Making decent mirror coverage legally mandatory and not just for new vehicles, stopping giving killers such lenient and often non-existent sentences, and perhaps discussing the role of HGVs in our city centres are certainly necessary.

I'd see those things done first, yes.

But a lot of cyclists still seem to be completely oblivious to the risks of going up the inside of left turning vehicles which despite all the campaigning that has been done is rather alarming.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The problem is the vast number of cyclists who have taken to our roads with little or no understanding of cycle craft. We cannot just pass all the blame to motorists, we have to accept responsibility for our own actions as well.
I agree with you but the comments made here were irresponsible. There was nothing to say that the cyclist was at fault or did anything to endanger themselves yet the commentary is all about how cyclists should be more aware when the onus really should be on drivers. If a driver makes a mistake the consequenses for more vulnerable road users can be dire.

London Fire Brigade distances itself from controversial cyclist comments

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/...s_itself_from_controversial_cyclist_comments/

London's Fire Brigade has rushed to distance itself from comments made by a Merton firefighter about cyclists.

Responding to an inquiry about anincident involving a cyclist and a car on Friday evening a gave details to The WimbledonGuardian.

The cyclist had sustained serious injuries after colliding with a car in Sainsbury's car park in Colliers Wood.

The fire fighter went on to give a warning to cyclists about the perils of the road.

He said: “There is a big problem with cyclists at the moment generally.

“There are so many more cyclists on the roads that we have had a number of incidents ourselves with fire engines and recent months.

“What they do is tuck themselves between the 150mm gap of the curb and lorry and really get themselves into places they just should not be.

“They are not respecting the road are getting themselves into dangerous positions.

“If there is a small gap just stay back.”

The comment sparked outrage among readers who responded with a series of angry comments to the article.

One reader, username SAHSAH, wrote: “Disgusting comments from LFB. The cyclist here is the victim, yet LFB use this as a platform to criticise cyclists.

“I can't see any suggestion that the cyclist was in any way to blame for this incident.

“Much better to use this to advise drivers of their responsibilities towards vulnerable road users, and address the problems of poor cycling infrastructure putting cyclists in danger.

“Whoever made this statement should be reprimanded.”

Merton's Borough Commander, Rick Ogden, said: “The comment published in the Wimbledon Guardian was from an individual and does not represent the views of the London Fire Brigade.

Related links

“We take our responsibilities to all road users very seriously and firefighters work closely with partner agencies to promote safety on London’s roads.

“Our thoughts are with the people involved in this incident.”

Top Bottom