Facebook bloomin' Facebook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
That's odd - mine suggests friends of friends. I've never had a suggestion of someone with no connection whatsoever.
The I have two accounts (ooh get me) ,my realish one has a lot of 'friends' and I don't get loads of international suggestions , my other one has few friends and gets lots of random suggestions.

snorri

Legendary Member
The I have two accounts (ooh get me) ,my realish one has a lot of 'friends' and I don't get loads of international suggestions , my other one has few friends and gets lots of random suggestions.
Perhaps you have explained my predicament.
I have three f/b friends and get loads of friend suggestions with no common factor that I can discover.
Maybe I need a F/B instruction book:sad:.

simonali

Guru
They will always have a suggested friends list. So the more you click x on the more they will replace. If you have removed all the relevant ones then the suggested list will be less and less relevant to you. Probably people who are on the same group pages or like the same things.
Just ignore the suggestions.

I'm talking hundreds of black Africans with no connection to me at all. I was in no groups at all on there and only had 30-40 friends, so why the hell would it think I knew, or indeed had any desire to know all those people in Africa? The more I dismissed the more it suggested until I snapped and deleted my account.

The only thing I can think of that might've made it think I was some sort of weirdo Islamophile* was the ...ali part of my username here, which is also in my email address? It's not part of my real name at all, though!

* I knew they were all Muslims as they all had little things under their names like Allah is the greatest. A bit like I have Veteran under mine here!

Last edited:

simonali

Guru
No idea. I did it as thoroughly as I could. I deleted all my comments, all my photos, untagged myself from anyone else's photos etc before closing my account.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once heard a top data security expert talking on R4 about this. As the programme finished he concluded: "As for Facebook and other social media which require you to give lots of personal information, my strong advice is: don't. Just don't. You have no idea how that information is going to be abused in the future and once it's out there, it's out there."

Never feel the need myself, I'd rather cycle to a cafe or a pub and enjoy some banter with real people.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Been on Facebook for about 9 years ... I try to use it wisely ... only ever had a handful of requests from 'odd' strangers ... don't get spam messages :smile:
I know I'm the product, but I can live with that

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I once heard a top data security expert talking on R4 about this. As the programme finished he concluded: "As for Facebook and other social media which require you to give lots of personal information, my strong advice is: don't. Just don't. You have no idea how that information is going to be abused in the future and once it's out there, it's out there."

Never feel the need myself, I'd rather cycle to a cafe or a pub and enjoy some banter with real people.

It's easy to say that but you have to appreciate how FB has become the standard platform for remote groups to communicate

Son is off to University next week. There is a FB group for his flat (all six of them and all Freshers so nobody knows anyone), a FB group for his apartment block, a FB group for his complex and a FB group for his subject

FB is the default for this sort of thing and if you don't have an account you can't be part of the communication. So practically all 18yr olds have an account

Julia9054

Guru
It's easy to say that but you have to appreciate how FB has become the standard platform for remote groups to communicate

Son is off to University next week. There is a FB group for his flat (all six of them and all Freshers so nobody knows anyone), a FB group for his apartment block, a FB group for his complex and a FB group for his subject

FB is the default for this sort of thing and if you don't have an account you can't be part of the communication. So practically all 18yr olds have an account
It's the groups like this that 18 year olds use it for. Few young people use it as their go to platform for posting on. It's middle aged people that post things.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My son's 19 and in his second year of Business Technology. He has a healthy suspicion of farcebook and he and his pals and flatmates and family communicate via Watsapp groups.

Top Bottom