Facebook is no more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It suits Facebook very much to be viewed as merely social media. It diverts attention from their actual business. The social media side is only one means of extracting data from most people who're online. They have other tentacles - Whatsapp, for instance. Saying that FB is no different from, say, the old Usenet demonstrably untrue.
Which is good, because I am not making that comparison.

Although, if someone had thought to scrape usenet and mine its data we could be in a different place.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Presumably Shaun runs CC through a company
I don't believe he does - or at least there is no compelling evidence that it is anything other than a sole trading entity.

And, for what it's worth, since the ads are provided by Alphabet I view it as part of the Alphabet empire. We are the product, providing data to Shaun who makes what is probably pin money pouring it into the Alphabet data swamp.

Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I took the decision to permanently delete my Facebook account a few months ago. Guess what, I'm really not missing it. Don't need to know what the family are upto (we have a private family whatsapp group), no-one needs to see what I'm upto either - fabulous.

Oh and no adverts all the time !

I don't miss the local 'village' facebook page - whilst it was good for local news, it was full of 'village idiots', whilst sometimes hilarious, you just realise how stupid or nasty folk can be.

Oh, and how much time does that free up !

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I'm close to shutting down my facebook. It will only take another family member or friend posting something else anti-cycling to tip me over the edge.

NightCruiser

This was certainly the right decision! I had never set up an account either, the only one that would benefit would be Mark Zuckerberg. By the way, I don't have a mobile phone and I've been giving up on TV for two years now. That's why I now have much more time for more meaningful things in life and for myself. :thumbsup:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I had a personal account in the early days but came off it after some weird, stalky behaviour from a lady from a past life. Directed at my kids, so that was an easy decision.

I created a business page for my gardening company, but it hasn’t ever created the right leads. I do domestic work for larger houses, not people who want their lawns done for 4 Kit Kats every 2 weeks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whilst the village idiot's page was entertaining, there were some nasty witch hunts. We also have an 'ex friend' who has stalker like properties, so that was another reason. I only use twitter for news feeds, eg. local paper, local food offers etc.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I only set a FB account up as a bet I had with a mate of mine - which of us had the least amount of friends

The loser being the first one to receive a friend request

I lost

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
tenor.gif

Top Bottom