Facebook is no more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I deactivated my account about 3 months ago. I haven't missed it at all. I don't waste time looking at meaningless crap anymore. I went on it to keep in-touch with people I used to work with when the factory I worked in closed. I ended up un-following lots of people. Most people on it just wrote noting like me on it. Some people would always be posting racist crap, or stupid anti-Islam crap. This was often people that you wouldn't expect it of, I ended up un-following loads of people.

Then you'd get people going on about criminals getting sent to jail for a cushy time, you know hot meals, tv's all at tax payers expense, when we should be saving tax payers money and killing them instead.. Yes I imagine prison is really cushy and not dangerous at all, I've been doing the wrong thing working all my life, the answer was to go to prison and live it up!!

What a pile of sh1t. I'm sure it has it's uses, I just never found them. Good riddance...

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I deactivated my account about 3 months ago. I haven't missed it at all. I don't waste time looking at meaningless crap anymore. I went on it to keep in-touch with people I used to work with when the factory I worked in closed. I ended up un-following lots of people. Most people on it just wrote noting like me on it. Some people would always be posting racist crap, or stupid anti-Islam crap. This was often people that you wouldn't expect it of, I ended up un-following loads of people.

Then you'd get people going on about criminals getting sent to jail for a cushy time, you know hot meals, tv's all at tax payers expense, when we should be saving tax payers money and killing them instead.. Yes I imagine prison is really cushy and not dangerous at all, I've been doing the wrong thing working all my life, the answer was to go to prison and live it up!!

What a pile of sh1t. I'm sure it has it's uses, I just never found them. Good riddance...

I think part of the answer is to only be 'friends' on Facebook with people who are your friends in real life.

Milzy

Guru
After reducing usage to a minimum I have finally deleted my Facebook Account. I have to resist the temptation. To reinstate it in the next 30 days but once more I am free. Anybody else broken the Facebook addiction many of us have had?
I would like to have most deleted off mine. However it’s great for hobbie & interests. All my content is just cycling related. Maybe I will open another account under a different name & just delete the other account. Use the new account for pure hobby pages.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm a facebook-fiend ...use it all the time, for news, views, opinions, keeping in touch with friends, getting advice from people in the same business as me for work opportunities, getting recommendations for local trades,, etc. It enhances my day-to-day existence :smile:

After reducing usage to a minimum I have finally deleted my Facebook Account. I have to resist the temptation. To reinstate it in the next 30 days but once more I am free. Anybody else broken the Facebook addiction many of us have had?

Never went on Facebook, but I did end up having to delete my Twitter account.

Now I'm mildly addicted to a certain cycling forum.

Julia9054

Guru

It depends on your "friends"
Mine is mostly people advertising brass instruments for sale, information about/pictures of people's gigs and a smattering of photos of people's babies/dogs/holidays. I read but rarely post, preferring to use Twitter and Instagram instead but as most people my age use Facebook as their platform of choice, I would use it if I needed to tell a lot of people something.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For those who ask, yes still Facebook free and haven't been back. Seem to be getting a lot more shoot done now, with the freed up time. Nice to be free from their surveillance .

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
It depends on your "friends"
Mine is mostly people advertising brass instruments for sale, information about/pictures of people's gigs and a smattering of photos of people's babies/dogs/holidays. I read but rarely post, preferring to use Twitter and Instagram instead but as most people my age use Facebook as their platform of choice, I would use it if I needed to tell a lot of people something.

I agree totally, I think its ok if you have a use for it, a common interest, I didn't so I jacked it off...

yello

It has its uses. I'm not a user myself and, but for a brief period when I wanted to be 'in the loop' with a certain event, never have been. Like many things I guess, it's not the thing itself but the use it's put to that can be the problem.

Other than sporadic forum use, I don't use other forms of social media either. No idea why really. They just don't click with me I guess. Odd really, I'm otherwise a bit of a techie gadgety person.

I've been thinking a lot lately about social media and how it polarises people and thinking I should probably refrain from using it more, as it cannot be good for people's mental health.

I jumped into a couple of twitter threads yesterday and replied to someone who was obviously wrong with a pithy remark and realised almost the moment after I hit send that it didn't matter, neither of us nor anyone else reading the thread were going to have our opinions changed.

A couple of years off Facebook now: the final straw for me was when this appeared on my feed and I found out the kind of content that my (redacted) friend who I had been on holidays with and used to regularly hang out with was consuming.
upload_2019-5-2_16-56-22.png
I've only kept this screenshot as a reminder as to why I left Facebook in the first place.

Top Bottom