Facebook is no more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understand why you kept it.

I should have kept the posts of some folk on here who said terrible terrible things in the inmmediate aftermath of grenfell.

They shouldn't have been deleted - by mods I assume.

I don't believe in censorship really - prefer to see folks as they are.

Maybe a bit odd that you never twigged that about him - keyboard warrior syndrome.

FB?

I have two accounts - used for sod all - mostly things/orgs I have to like or whatever so I know wots occuring as they are too lazy to do a web page.

That one is very quiet - as I never ever believed in FB even when it was flavour of the year/s.

Also, admit, have another one which I creatred for checking certain things out - that is so dormant inactive it's not true. Can't remember when I last logged into it.

But FB has revealed how it suckers folk in for they send me a ton of mails for that second one about lots and lots of relevant stuff/supposed friend activity bla bla bla bla that I really really need to know about if I am not to be shunned by its group of friends.

This second account clearly has a way way more interesting life than little old me.

On the first, I am reassured by the generally unlikely list of folk it thinks I might know.

I also like it when it alerts me that my account has been logged into from an "unknown device". It's me but I welcome the fact that they seem to think it might be someone else. And I never ever answer the question about "was it you?".

I understand why you kept it.

I should have kept the posts of some folk on here who said terrible terrible things in the inmmediate aftermath of grenfell.

They shouldn't have been deleted - by mods I assume.

I don't believe in censorship really - prefer to see folks as they are.

Maybe a bit odd that you never twigged that about him - keyboard warrior syndrome.
You're right that the signs were there all along. I used to work with him, and knew he had a very dark sense of humour and some unorthodox interests (UFOs, conspiracy theories etc but nothing too alarming.) But he was coming out with increasingly bizarre stuff, and this was the tipping point at which it was clear just how far he'd been, for want of a better word, radicalised.

Must be doing something right.

Just had a mail from FB suggest some groups i might like to join.

Including

My london postcode mum's group

St marys convent

Last time i looked the yellow bear was male.

Tempted to turn up to mum's group with my fb defence.

Edit. Andva pretty serious one.
Just checked what the mysterious convent is.

Turns out it's a closed group so you can't see any content, but the tagline on the front page says,
For those of us who survived St Mary's Convent, Folkestone, Kent

This is getting downright weird and disturbing - gawd knows what their algorithms think they know about me.

I have no connection with that place, town, nuns, or the presumed issues of that group

Last edited:
I have no connection with that place, town, nuns, or the presumed issues of that group
Ah but it's all down to metadata. You've replied to a message from me on this forum and as Facebook probably knows even though I've never mentioned it, I once visited Folkestone when I was 8. (I remember the horrifying wooden rollercoaster all too well.)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's some more of our family deleting it.

Sister in law was badly hacked by some ISIS person that took over her account and was posting hate posts (not that any of us can read Arabic) so after a long process Facebook eventually deleted her account.

My daughter has been hacked to a lesser extent (she doesn't use it) so now she is deleting her account.

I see facebook having many fewer users given how unsecured it is.

Glad I binned mine a while ago.

keithmac

Guru
I find FB a handy tool.

Keep in touch with my 2 best friends from Secondary School, too far away to visit more than a few times a year unfortunately (they were down at mine last week for drinks).

I am a member of various groups (dog walking/ caravanning etc), they are very handy to browse.

All my "friends" are people I'd happily stop and talk to in the street which again seems a bit odd considering some have 800+ (think I have less than 50?).

Politically, if anyone can be swayed one way or another by a website then they're very weak willed..

Maybe because I don't befriend nobbers I've got away lightly, who knows?.

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't have an FB account. I find life goes on perfectly well without it. I noted that the sun actually rose in the east this morning too:okay:.
I have a facebook account which I seldom look at, life has its ups and downs, and I didn't see the sun rising this morning due to grey skies and rain:sad:.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I deleted my Facebook account and opened another one without any friends. I just use it to find out what's going on locally, e.g. the latest cyclepath muggings.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used it to keep in touch with a local MTB group, but any rides are usually put on the BC web site and I'm a group member, so see them there.

We had to cut a night out short because my daughter messed her account.

Politically, if anyone can be swayed one way or another by a website then they're very weak willed..
That's what they want you to think...

Seriously though, don't underestimate the depth and breadth of their insidiousness. They use all the information they gather on you (spoiler: unless you have serious tracking protection in all your browsers and don't have any of their apps installed on your mobile devices, it's a LOT.) to curate your timeline such that they'll push content that they predict will get an engagement from you - whether it's likes or comments or hate clicks.

Google etc do similarly insidious stuff, but not on remotely the same scale as Facebook.

Top Bottom