Facebook Privacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
To get around people not sending you friend requests you need to change your settings so that only 'friends of friends' can request to add you. Then make sure you have no friends on your profile and hey presto - no one can request to be your friend.

I did this for 2 years until one of my friends conned me into adding him so some reason and I forgot to defriend him and it opened the floodgates. DO NOT ACCEPT ANYONE LOL.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You can't, I for similar reasons wanted to sign up, so did so with a fake name, but I am unable to access most of the site, (some would say thankfully) unless they are able to verify my phone number & it has to be a mobile, there is no way they are getting that. I presume it's a step they have put in to stop (insert a country) Bots from signing up.
As @Electric_Andy says.. Click 'not now'. Nothing changes

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
You can't, I for similar reasons wanted to sign up, so did so with a fake name, but I am unable to access most of the site, (some would say thankfully) unless they are able to verify my phone number & it has to be a mobile, there is no way they are getting that. I presume it's a step they have put in to stop (insert a country) Bots from signing up.
Get a free PAYG SIM and use the number on that?

D

Deleted member 26715

Get a free PAYG SIM and use the number on that?
TBH I can't be harris'd enough to do that, it was only a specific group I was interested in & to not see the feed is not life threatening

Levo-Lon

Guru
I disconnected mine a while ago, really got fed up with the constant crap posted on there. Ads and it follows your every bloody move, it really is a spy app

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Facebook privacy? - ha ha ha ha ha, an oxymoron if ever there was one.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Trust me(!) even with all the "safeguards" and options that Facebook put in, they will still be storing or selling your data somehow. If you want privacy on the internet, just don't use it*.

FWIW, I worked for an internet services start-up company and it is quite shocking how much info they will glean (even potentially tracking your mouse movement to see where you would go on certain pages) and use. And buy from others and what is available. There's big data out there...

*though a caveat here is that if you never enter your personal info and only ever use guest networks with a device that has never had personal info in it, you may get some privacy. Though if you have a gps in your device that may be questionable as I'm sure you could be linked somehow.

bruce1530

Guru
if you repeatedly see a friend request from someone (maybe someone you actually know/know of offline, does this mean that they have looked at your page?

Not necessarily.

When you join facespook, it helpfully asks if it can access your address book to find your friends.

Sensible people say no, but your acquaintance may have said yes, so fb has identified a relationship between them and you.

Or maybe a 3rd person, who had you both as contacts, allowed fb access so it identified that there was 1 degree of separation..

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been ignoring their request for a phone number for years.

Top Bottom