Facebook - what is it all about?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
There's a very good reason why i haven't been in contact with people for the last 25 years; i didn't like them then and i won't like them now.

Kablinsky

I recently defacebooked. The final straw was when an advert for Starbucks appeared on the side of the screen and I noticed that half a million people had bothered to click on 'become a fan'.

I thought to myself 'Are these really the sort of people I want to be associated with?'

bauldbairn

Only used it for relatives/real friends/people at school who were friends(and lost touch - moved abroad)/ ex-work colleagues(whom I liked). I've not been on it for 4 months - since an ex girlfriend got in touch through it and weirded me out. I'd used it about 10 times and found it time consuming/uninspiring.

What are the games about? - I kept getting requests for Farmville/Mafia Wars etc,etc. :becool:

tyred

Legendary Member
XmisterIS said:
I have no idea how to use facebook (or what the point of it is) ... and I'm not old! I signed up for it a couple of months ago and was completely flummoxed by it. So far as I can tell, it is mostly frequented by people who live in "me" land (that's not to accuse anyone on here!). I haven't logged in since. I stick to email, forums and old-fashioned face-to-face!

+ 1

The internet is a wonderful tool where we can access knowledge on just about any subject but I sometimes wonder if we are starting to overuse. I'm not old either but want nothing to do with facebook. I sometimes wonder if we are going to create a generation of people who's idea of a social life is sitting in front of a computer on some silly social networking site.

Young Un

Ignore any mafia wars or farmville invites or stuff like that, basically it just mucks up your computer!

I use facebook a lot - I'm a kid - what do you expect! We use for sharing pictures, chatting, and notifying each other of pissups mainly. it's wayyy too time consuming, but it's better than doing school work or revising. I also use it to talk to fellow cycling competitors to find out what they are used to. I am more careful with my friends now though - seeing as I had an asian pervert add me and try to find out where I lived etc. My borther saw his anticks, and gave him some death threats and he soon cleared off. You just have to remember it's all a bit of fun, and you can always log out and be away from it all:biggrin:

bauldbairn

Young Un said:
Ignore any mafia wars or farmville invites or stuff like that, basically it just mucks up your computer!

Cheers! I do. :smile:

Young Un said:
I use facebook a lot - I'm a kid - what do you expect! We use for sharing pictures, chatting, and notifying each other of pissups mainly. it's wayyy too time consuming, but it's better than doing school work or revising.

Yeh, I can see the attraction if your younger/still at school - I think I would use it differently if it came out 20 years ago. :becool:

Be careful - that was a scary incident you had, I hope you and your brother reported it to the correct authorities?

montage

God Almighty
Facebook is useful, and I do have it, but there are HUGE personal privacy breaches. I don't know how they get away with it - it is truely disgusting.

You know when you click on an application, it says something like "this allows the application access to all your info, and that of your friends"....this means that should your friends click this, then that application has all of your info - including all your photos etc. I can't work out how this is even legal.

Why do I have facebook? Because everybody does, and the amount of things organised on there is unreal (parties, pub trips etc). Would I miss facebook if it died? Not one bit.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Yes, the etiquette for "friending" someone seems to be ill-defined. But in my circle of friends (most of us in our 20s and 30s) I've had more requests from the generation above me than below, so I wonder who these people are who are trying to friend grown-ups.

bauldbairn

montage said:
Facebook is useful, and I do have it, but there are HUGE personal privacy breaches. I don't know how they get away with it - it is truely disgusting.

I do believe they've got into trouble recently(don't know with who) - and have promised to restrict access to personal details without users authority. I fear it may be too late.

gavintc

Guru
As a 53 yr old, I am happy to admit being a user of Facebook. Like others have commented, all my friends on FB are people I know well and FB allows me to keep in touch with them. One kept a short account of his LEJOG ride, another 2 are changing jobs. It allows a little and short communication to either them all or to specific individuals. I move a lot and many of my friends are all the place - none of my FB friends are in Italy.

I am happy with FB, you just need to review regularly your security to make sure that FB have not changed the access. No problems for me and much better than e-mails.

Norm

summerdays said:
But he has sent me 2 fortune cookies ... I ignored the first one, but he has sent another ... and when I eventually clicked on it, it gave me some warning about having to have my permission to use my information. So I cancelled... so what are cookies about, and what happens if I click confirm?
Fortune cookies, farmville, mafia wars and invitations about any other "apps" get deleted on receipt. For the most part, the sender doesn't know what you did anyway.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Norm said:
Fortune cookies, farmville, mafia wars and invitations about any other "apps" get deleted on receipt. For the most part, the sender doesn't know what you did anyway.

Thanks ... that's the bit I wanted to know ... I feel bad enough when I ignore a friendship request.

rh100

upsidedown said:
There's a very good reason why i haven't been in contact with people for the last 25 years; i didn't like them then and i won't like them now.

Exactly, if they were mates you would still be in touch.

I think it suggests matches based on who has searched for your name, aswell as your address book if you let it. And as already said, the privacy is shocking. I got sent a link for some random video, clicking on it warned the videos authors would have access to all my profile, these authors could be anyone as they are 3rd party (not facebook created) applications.

My facebook profile is locked right down, and I dont tend to bother looking at it now. there are more interesting things on the web than reading someones comments on random stuff and even worse: that several people 'liked it' - WTF?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
rh100 said:
Exactly, if they were mates you would still be in touch.

I think it suggests matches based on who has searched for your name, aswell as your address book if you let it. And as already said, the privacy is shocking. I got sent a link for some random video, clicking on it warned the videos authors would have access to all my profile, these authors could be anyone as they are 3rd party (not facebook created) applications.

My facebook profile is locked right down, and I dont tend to bother looking at it now. there are more interesting things on the web than reading someones comments on random stuff and even worse: that several people 'liked it' - WTF?

4f likes this :becool:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User1314 said:
I joined to get in touch with a couple of people. Within two weeks I had twenty requests from people wanting to be friends.

Going to close down and just keep in touch via email, letter, phone.

The old physco girlfriend still stalking you User ?

Top Bottom