Faggin è arrivato

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a lovely thing. CroMo?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
That's a lovely thing. CroMo?
Good question and l am sorry to say that l don't know the answer yet. The seller had only minimal info on the bike but since l assume that it is mid 1980's or there about, and Faggin frames were Columbus steel at that time l may be able to get the info from the current Faggin company. The problem l have is that in common with most if not all vintage F-gin bikes they don't seem to have frame identification numbers. The number on the BB refers to the frame size.
Have you got any suggestions ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good question and l am sorry to say that l don't know the answer yet. The seller had only minimal info on the bike but since l assume that it is mid 1980's or there about, and Faggin frames were Columbus steel at that time l may be able to get the info from the current Faggin company. The problem l have is that in common with most if not all vintage F-gin bikes they don't seem to have frame identification numbers. The number on the BB refers to the frame size.
AFAIK all Columbus tubing is CrMo, they didn't go for Manganese Molybdedum like Reynolds did (531,753 etc) they did make various 'grades' of Crmo as well as different designs of tubing some with an internal spiral (rifling) in order to reduce weight.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yep that tallies with everything l have found out so far! apparently it is possible to tell the grade of Cromo by weight but l wouldn't know if that is possible for a bike frame especially this one because it was completely chromed on order to have the cromovelato paint finish. Phew! l think l will just sit back and look at it for a while and smile !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep that tallies with everything l have found out so far! apparently it is possible to tell the grade of Cromo by weight but l wouldn't know if that is possible for a bike frame especially this one because it was completely chromed on order to have the cromovelato paint finish. Phew! l think l will just sit back and look at it for a while and smile !
:biggrin:

GuyBoden

Guru
Is this a similar model?
They look superb.
faggin10.jpg

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
As far as l can see from the photo they are almost identical even down to the anodised mavic rims. My version has a Strong light crank and a
Sachs Huret rear deraillure. From the look of it the seat post is also the same , i.e. round where it fits into the seat tube and then sort of tapered egg shape up to the saddle. I just noticed in your photo that the fork crowns are paint finished and that is the same with my bike.
I agree wholeheartedly there is something about these bikes that is special. Having said that l really like all the bikes in my care !

mikeymustard

Veteran
So what's the plan of campaign - renovate everything before you put it together, or build it up and ride it to see what needs doing? I know I'd have to test ride it :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Had a non bike related day today, helping some French farming friends prepare very large ducks for a feast , that is to say that it is we who will be feasting and the ducks will be the subject of the feast !
But to more serious matters... having had a good look at all the separate parts of the bike l think l will build it up and see how it rides before l decide how much or little needs to be done in the renovation stakes.
In any case I am not quite finished renovating the Gitane yet so l don't really want more than one project on the go at the same time ( my tiny mind gets confused easily these days).
I am thinking that once l get started renovating the Faggin l will want to take my time and give it the works, to the best of my ability.
Thats my plan! :bicycle:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
As far as l can see from the photo they are almost identical even down to the anodised mavic rims. My version has a Strong light crank and a
Sachs Huret rear deraillure. From the look of it the seat post is also the same , i.e. round where it fits into the seat tube and then sort of tapered egg shape up to the saddle. I just noticed in your photo that the fork crowns are paint finished and that is the same with my bike.
I agree wholeheartedly there is something about these bikes that is special. Having said that l really like all the bikes in my care !
Is this a similar model?
They look superb.
View attachment 341534
I meant to ask you if this is your own bike , if so l'd love to have your opinion of it !

raindog

er.....
I have an early '90s Faggin Columbus Neuron. (see pic) I wrote to the factory and gave them the serial number under the BB and they replied really quickly with the relevant info. I also bought a new chromed fork off them, as the fork on my frame was a Colnago. They still make beautifully crafted steel frames at reasonable prices. Lovely bikes to ride. Here is their web site.
http://www.fagginbikes.com/
here's some info I found on a forum some time ago
"I worked for Torelli imports in the mid 80s. We brought in hundreds of Faggins. They were very nice racing bikes, hand built by the family in Italy. Bill, owner of Torelli, showed me photos of the Faggin shop. There were two daughters and a son who worked on cutting, mitering, and brazing the frames. The old man, a former pro racer, oversaw everything and did some of the work himself too. The mother cooked and cared for the crew.
The family lived upstairs and the frame building shop was downstairs. Their commute to work was hell! The painting and chrome work were sourced out to a nearby speciality shop.
Leandro Faggin was a top pro. He was three time world champion on the track and also won two Olympic gold medals in 1956. He passed away at 37 years of age in 1970."

FAGGIN NEURON Columbus dec 2011.JPG

RedRider

Pulling through
Very nice......................apart from that handlebar tape.

Good news is that classic cloth bar tape is available in blue,

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwirrs781MTSAhVmGsAKHfFyA8QQFgiLATAB&url=http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/velox-tressorex-cloth-handlebar-tape/&usg=AFQjCNGJ5fWj4YVReCbOcC_SI034OfMvug

Also with this thin stuff you can use the classic 'Raleigh Wrap' starting from the centre and finishing up tucking the 'tail' into the handlebar end and securing it by the 'plug' (much neater IMO but not really possible with fat 'gel' tape. xx()
I've converted to cloth tape and love the feel and look, it's the velox stuff and I've wrapped top down. It's a bit short tho ... Is there a particular way you wrap to make it stretch the distance?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've converted to cloth tape and love the feel and look, it's the velox stuff and I've wrapped top down. It's a bit short tho ... Is there a particular way you wrap to make it stretch the distance?
Less overlap ? :whistle:

To be serious it isn't a problem I've ever had, I normally end up with 6-8 inches left on the rolls, are you starting right at the stem or coming 3-4 inches away to begin?

Top Bottom