Fahey New Broom at WADA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I know what you mean, but the international administration of sport is highly 'politicised' in the way their dealings are conducted. So I guess a 'key skill' is the ability to 'wheel and deal'.

Obviously it would be better if the betterment of sport was their only guiding principle, but I think that's a bit optimistic.

Fahey was premier of New South Wales state in Australia from 1992-1995, and served as federal finance minister from 1996 until his retirement from politics in 2001 for health reasons.
Although he led Sydney's successful bid for the 2000 Olympics and has worked with some sport bodies, he still questioned as having little sports management or anti-doping experience.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/2007-11/19/content_6263528.htm
(China Daily ??? - first thing Google found, not the first place I'd look myself for unbiased reporting)

I think I''ll wait and see what Fahey's like then...

Tetedelacourse

The job is as much about politics as it is about fighting the cheats, sadly. Would have been great to get someone in with experience in both but who in their right mind...

I really don't agree with this hatred for Pound.

Pound was/is anti-drugs, not anti-cycling.
He repeatedly stated that other sports have major problems, like athletics, swimming, gymnastics, etc
He has gone after drugs in cycling and said that UCI hadn't a clue and need to get their house in order - but does anyone disagree with that ?!?!?

romeo

Spot on, Id wager that it wasnt just that they didnt have a clue but more like they were complicit in keeping things the way they were.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Pound was a thorn in the side of cycling.

And a good thing too. It may be annoying when someone keeps shouting "you can't keep sweeping it under the carpet", but without him, cycling would still be living in cloud cuckoo land.

If all the people who objected to Pound had instead, spent as much energy cleaning up the sport it might not now be teetering on the edge of extinction.

He was equally harsh on other sports, but I don't think anywhere else did he meet the resistance to change from the sport's administration itself. For example, athletics may still have a long way to go, but everyone running athletics wants to catch the drug cheats.

You could never say, (and still can't) that everyone who runs cycling is united in their total opposition to drugs. Some are at best ambivalent. I think it was this apathy that got his goat and made it appear he was in conflict with cycling: He wasn't. However he was venomously opposed to the inertia that exists in the various cycling bodies and teams to really confront the issue.

Top Bottom