RIP Gino Mader at the Tour de Suisse 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Gino Mader crashed on Stage 5 of the Tour de Suisse into a ravine. News afterwards was that he was conscious, however overnight he died of his injuries: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gino-mader-dies-after-tour-de-suisse-crash/ His team have also released a statement: https://bahraincyclingteam.com/statement-regarding-gino-mader

It was a steep descent down to the finish with riders going full tilt. Magnus Sheffield also crashed, but was not seriously hurt. There's videos of the crash which naturally I won't post on here.

RIP Gino.

Worthy of own thread, thanks DC.

RIP

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been trying to catch up on the race and was going to watch stage 5 today after a quick visit to the Guardian site. I read the awful news there. How terribly sad...

I don't want to watch the coverage to see the crash but I have read that Evenepoel considered the descent too dangerous. I know that danger is inevitable on fast descents but some are definitely worse than others. Maybe it is time to allow riders/teams to have more of a say in what they are expected to race down?

Alex321

Veteran
The longer GCN+ highlights did not show it, or mention it, when I watched them yesterday.

No. I watched that last night, and had no idea until I saw this thread just now.

There were some comments about it being a risky descent.

RIP Gino.

13 rider

Guru
No. I watched that last night, and had no idea until I saw this thread just now.

There were some comments about it being a risky descent.

RIP Gino.
I had the last 30 mins on in the back ground not paying complete attention too it and I never heard anything mentioned ,I thought I must have missed it when I saw this thread

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have been trying to catch up on the race and was going to watch stage 5 today after a quick visit to the Guardian site. I read the awful news there. How terribly sad...

I don't want to watch the coverage to see the crash but I have read that Evenepoel considered the descent too dangerous. I know that danger is inevitable on fast descents but some are definitely worse than others. Maybe it is time to allow riders/teams to have more of a say in what they are expected to race down?

Or maybe the riders should agree amongst themselves beforehand to come down known possibly dangerous descents at a slower pace than flat out.

Or maybe the riders should agree amongst themselves beforehand to come down known possibly dangerous descents at a slower pace than flat out.

There is something in that, but when the descent ends barely a km from the finish line there is huge incentive to race that section.
It's perhaps poor of the riders to criticize in hindsight - they will all have studied the last 10km in advance, and SOMEONE will know the area, so not speaking to the riders union rep chappie is arguably negligent in itself. A shared blame and responsibility, it would seem?

Top Bottom