Fairlight Secan or...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

acuna_read

I have been looking to reduce my current set of bikes and at the top of the list is the Fairlight Secan but is there anything else I've missed and should consider?

I'm after a versatile bike I can do everything on, although I have an old beater for commuting and a Brompton for city hops. I'm looking to do some longer Audax rides in the next year or two moving onto LEJOG as a build up to potentially attempt some of the bigger stuff such as PBP and Transcontinental in a few years. I also want to do some light touring, up to two weeks at a time in Europe on various surfaces with London to Norway scheduled for next year, so needs rack mounts on the rear. Would also need to be my leisure bike to just go for rides, normally around 50 miles depending on day but can be more or less. With the addition of a dynamo the Secan would really be at the limit for my budget, £2700, so any other suggestions would have to be within this including dynamo wheel.

Currently have a Genesis Equilibrium Disc 631 Reynolds (not stock bar the frame) so I like steel and have experience of it. Also have a Ridley Noah RS which is my fast/summer bike so not adverse to this but not sure carbon is the right material for my intended use in case of breakages from crashing. So the new bike essentially has to replace both of these and then some!

Any suggestions on other bikes welcome, or if you have a Secan and can offer your experience as well.

Thanks for any help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Titanium?
Eg https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-ti-sport/
Or the Tempest Gravel from Planet X?

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
There is a new Fairlight Secan mark 2 - details on Fairlight's website from tomorrow. New fork with capacity for luggage carrying and dynamo would make it even more TCR compatible. Fairlight Faran mark 2 worth looking at. Also look at Cotic Escapade and Kinesis GTD and RTD. Condor Bivio also well reviewed. Genesis Croix de For frame built with lighter wheels than the stock version would also work well.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to add, I wouldn't go out and buy a new bike for any of your aims listed above. Should have been doing Lejog this year (next year now) and will be doing this on my regular commuter.

si_c

Guru
As @I like Skol says my first choice would be to strip down and rebuild the Genesis for your purposes - you'll be able to do that for far less than the cost of a new bike - even if you went full electronic gearing and something like the Hunt dynamo wheels.

This would leave plenty of cash left over for all the additional equipment you'll need for your planned tours - dynamo lights/chargers, luggage, sleeping/cooking/camping equipment. Plus you'll know that the bike fits you and is comfortable.

It's unlikely you'll find a better frame than a steel one to be honest - and if you go all out on the equipment then it'll be no heavier than if you'd bought a more expensive frame with cheaper components.

Plus you'd have loads of parts left over to acquire an additional frame later to use as a new beater :okay:

straas

Matt
Don't listen to these heathens. You NEED a new bike.

There's a facebook group called Fairlight riders that you might find helpful.

Have you considered the strael?

OP
OP
A

acuna_read

Thanks for all the feedback, its much appreciated.
Titanium?
Eg https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-ti-sport/
Or the Tempest Gravel from Planet X?
Hadn't really considered Titanium due to the extra cost and little difference from steel from those I have spoken to/what I have read. The Planet X does look good though but only a single chainring which I don't like for chainline issues. I have also seen the Kinesis GTD on merlin cycles as a frameset but as I would need new wheels and brakes as a minimum (I have QR and postmount, everything is TA and flat now!) it becomes a big job to kit out a frame. Not sure on Ribble, never appealed to me for some reason but will have a look at the geometry and see. Any experiences of these/titanium bikes in relation to steel?

There is a new Fairlight Secan mark 2 - details on Fairlight's website from tomorrow. New fork with capacity for luggage carrying and dynamo would make it even more TCR compatible. Fairlight Faran mark 2 worth looking at. Also look at Cotic Escapade and Kinesis GTD and RTD. Condor Bivio also well reviewed. Genesis Croix de For frame built with lighter wheels than the stock version would also work well.
Yes I got the newsletter last night, the thing leaning me towards the Faran initially was the front mounts but this has been addressed with the new Secan. However panniers and bar bag (which I already have) should be enough for the touring I will do so the front mounts would be useful for small packs/bottles. Hadn't considered the Cotic which looks interesting, Condor works out a bit more than the equivalent Secan unless I did frameset and s/hand-ebay parts. Same applies to GTD as mentioned above.

Just to add, I wouldn't go out and buy a new bike for any of your aims listed above. Should have been doing Lejog this year (next year now) and will be doing this on my regular commuter.
My old beater is the wrong size for me really (54 when I'm really a 52) so not ideal for really long stuff but fine for a 12 mile commute. The Genesis I have is great but doesn't have mounts for racks and I'm not sure on P-clips or a seat collar mount for a couple of weeks, and would then look at getting a fork as well. Also running 28's with mudguards on it is very tight. Theres also then getting wheels sorted for QR and then getting a new frame in the future and requiring shifting over to TA hubs etc.

There's a facebook group called Fairlight riders that you might find helpful.

Have you considered the strael?
Dont use facebook but will try and have a peek if possible. Have considered the Strael but the extra clearance of the Secan appeals for more comfort/versatility from tyres and the potential speed advantage is irrelevant to me, + now with Secan 2 having fork mounts is a bonus. Although I don't need a new bike I would be looking to make this a long term purchase of 10+ years hopefully.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably you can buy a frameset and build to whatever spec you like?
I like my Titanium bike (I have a Sabbath AR1, might be another option, QR frameset) but I'm also very fond of my two Equilibriums :okay:
My 725 has P clips which have been on there for about 8000 miles thus far

ade towell

Titanium is a lovely forgiving ride, not dissimilar to steel but a bit lighter and no rust or chipped paint work to worry about. I'm selling the Kinesis Granfondo ti disc (the precursor to the GTD) which is a great bike ideal for your needs. Mine is probably the wrong size for you though. Managed to fit 35mm tyres on but would like to do more off road so have bought a used Kinesis Tripster ATR, their ti gravel adventure bike which takes much wider tyres still. Again is a wonderful ride and worth looking out for used if you don't mind buying second hand
Have to say the Secan is also a gorgeous looking bike and was high in my list, but the Tripster came up at a good price and I just love the look of titanium

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

acuna_read

Presumably you can buy a frameset and build to whatever spec you like?
I like my Titanium bike (I have a Sabbath AR1, might be another option, QR frameset) but I'm also very fond of my two Equilibriums :okay:
My 725 has P clips which have been on there for about 8000 miles thus far
Will have a look into the clips again but the other issues still remain.

Titanium is a lovely forgiving ride, not dissimilar to steel but a bit lighter and no rust or chipped paint work to worry about. I'm selling the Kinesis Granfondo ti disc (the precursor to the GTD) which is a great bike ideal for your needs. Mine is probably the wrong size for you though. Managed to fit 35mm tyres on but would like to do more off road so have bought a used Kinesis Tripster ATR, their ti gravel adventure bike which takes much wider tyres still. Again is a wonderful ride and worth looking out for used if you don't mind buying second hand
Have to say the Secan is also a gorgeous looking bike and was high in my list, but the Tripster came up at a good price and I just love the look of titanium
Yes I am looking at the second hand market. I am 5"7/169cm so generally on a small frame, what size is yours? There is a Gran Fondo on ebay but it has had a couple of repairs due to cracking on the downtube which puts me off. The Trpister ATR would be my choice as well looking at the specs but not set in stone.

straas

Matt
Here's a link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/642137962846931

I think you'd have to have a facebook account and apply for access though. I think it would be worth it in answering some questions as the owners seem a bit more spread out than for the more popular brands.

I stupidly didn't act quickly enough on a faran that was being sold on here for £900! Been regretting it since...

OP
OP
A

acuna_read

Here's a link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/642137962846931

I think you'd have to have a facebook account and apply for access though. I think it would be worth it in answering some questions as the owners seem a bit more spread out than for the more popular brands.

I stupidly didn't act quickly enough on a faran that was being sold on here for £900! Been regretting it since...
Had a quick look via someone elses facebook and seems you have to join. I'm quite facebook averse so will leave it there, thanks for the heads up though.
This is my Granfondo, I'm 5'10" and it's a 55.5cm. The Tripster I have is a 54cm and both seem to fit me nicely
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/kinesis-granfondo-v3-disc-titanium-55-5cm-£1750.268570/
Looks like an amazing bike but definitely too big for me, I'd need a 52 to be properly set up how I like. I think the ability for the tripster to take those bigger tyres would be a reason for me leaning that way too.

barclakj

Old thread... did you ever pull the trigger on this? Happy with the Secan or did you plumb for something else in the end?
(looking at the same myself...) Thanks.

Top Bottom