Fake Colnago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambram

I only wanted an old frame to mate onto my indoor magnetic turbo-trainer to save shredding the rear tyre on the roadbike.

There seemed nothing close to home until this "Replica Colnago" turned up on ebay. I bought it and on collection
the story was that the frame had been purchased in good faith as a Colnago and then equipped with good items so
that it could be ridden in an Eroica event. Apparently it was not allowed because it was a fake.

It was obvious, looking at it, that is isn't a "good" frame and to stop it masquerading as a Colnago I decided to
strip off the stickers and black paint and give it a quick spray-over and mount it on the indoor trainer.

The black rattle can paint had been applied over a white undercoat/primer, was up to 1mm thick in places and came off quite easily using a stanley knife blade. What was revealed was a fancy original paint job. There is no visible rust and the chromed bits are excellent. No mudguard lugs so it was probably originally sold as a "racing bike".

Two bottle carrier mounts, brazed on gear shifter mounts, front shifter mech brazed-on mount and hidden rear brake cable fairings were fitted.

There are no visible stamped numbers on the frame or lugs so probably went through manufacturing with a card label tied to it for eventual colour and specification. The colours are deep red (a bit like the British Leyland Maxi
damask red (the worst car I ever owned!), a pearlescent white/silver for the main parts of the frame tubes with
green trim faded in on the top and down tubes. No decals remain. The rear chainstays to the seat tube fixing
may give away the maker to those people who can remember these details.

Any clues to who made this (not very lightweight) frame and rough date will be appreciated.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No idea but that braze on FD mount might be a clue.
How anyone ever thought this might be a Colnago is amazing.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Iirc the diameter of your seatpost can ID the tubing it is made from. Won't give you a maker but will give you a clue as to the quality of frame. I suspect with the brazed on bits it might be a bit better than gas pipe. Could be a cheaper 501 frame.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There are oodles of fake Colnagos about. Pretty common to buy the decals when a gaspiper is being resprayed. There was a frame hanging up at the Gloucester bike project when I went in there.

"That yellow Colnago's really cheap!"

"(Laugh) That's because it isn't a Colnago!"

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There are oodles of fake Colnagos about. Pretty common to buy the decals when a gaspiper is being resprayed. There was a frame hanging up at the Gloucester bike project when I went in there.

"That yellow Colnago's really cheap!"

"(Laugh) That's because it isn't a Colnago!"
There was a thriving cottage industry producing fake Colnagos in the States back in the eighties. One of the magazines at the time did a feature on it.

OP
OP
C

Cambram

Iirc the diameter of your seatpost can ID the tubing it is made from. Won't give you a maker but will give you a clue as to the quality of frame. I suspect with the brazed on bits it might be a bit better than gas pipe. Could be a cheaper 501 frame.
28.5 to 28.7 over the remaining paint. (just up the road in Bramhall)

OP
OP
C

Cambram

Don't know why but reminds me of a Cilo......
Thanks for suggestion. I thought the chainstay junction and colour scheme would be the giveaway. So, you don't think that it is one of the mass produced UK brands, such as BSA, Viking, etc.

midlife

Guru
Shot in chainstays were not a mass produced item in the UK, only Carlton did something similar called the victor seat stays AFAIK the Raleigh / Carlton Pro had shot in stays but again not mass market.

Is the BB shell 70mm ?

Top Bottom