Fake reviewing and shills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I looked at Google reviews of a takeaway near me (that I already know well), and was surprised to see a particular review that stood out by mentioning "great service, ambience, and a lovely place to come for lunch on weekdays especially".
I'm surprised because it's takeaway only, isn't open at lunch, and has 4 plastic chairs for people waiting. He's clearly never been.
Looking at his profile further, he's a Google "Local expert" so people are possibly crediting his reviews with some level of trust. 40 reviews so far, so I look further into them....

4 reviews for decorating and painting services, one in Essex, one in West Yorkshire, one in London and another in Newcastle, all of whom he's apparently had amazing results for the redecoration of his house! He's got a lot of houses, and they all needed redecoration in 2020 apparently. Only one single review in my locale, just that takeaway which is a lovely place to have lunch apparently, despite them not serving lunch.

The rest of his restaurant reviews (20+) similarly talk about great ambience and a cool atmosphere or whatever in places like a Papa John pizza takeaway or kebab shops, all spread around the UK and none offering a sit down meal.

Possibly the clearest case of shilling that I've ever seen. Does make you wonder about the integrity of online reviews doesn't it. I reported the reviews and the profile because I love doing pointless and fruitless enterprise, and I know deep down Google won't be interested. But it kind of made me wonder about the method of what's at play here, paid reviewer arranged by Google? Bot? Just someone wanting "Local expert" badges on Google? I have no idea, it's weirdly random.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Fake reviews is a big "underground" business. I think most of us if confronted with the choice of two shops selling the same product or service but one with 5 star reviews and the other with 4 star reviews, are more likely to head to the shop with 5 star reviews. Fake reviews are against google policy, but the question is how much are they really doing about it?

Companies are often quick to jump on legitimate poor reviews and flag them as fake and often get removed, but so many are at the game with fake 5 star reviews, shilling to the point of nausea that like you, im not sure what the value of the review system is to anybody anymore...

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
But who has paid this guy @HMS_Dave ? I'm alive to shill reviews and I can sift them out generally, spot "family and friends" glowing reviews, but this guy is at it all over the UK in seemingly random and unrelated places, but with a theme of certain businesses, and a good amount of evidence that he's never visited. So it's that which has got me scratching my head.... Who pays someone to write 40+ shill reviews of different businesses all over the country? I'm stumped.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
But who has paid this guy @HMS_Dave ? I'm alive to shill reviews and I can sift them out generally, spot "family and friends" glowing reviews, but this guy is at it all over the UK in seemingly random and unrelated places, but with a theme of certain businesses, and a good amount of evidence that he's never visited. So it's that which has got me scratching my head.... Who pays someone to write 40+ shill reviews of different businesses all over the country? I'm stumped.
The BBC did a piece about this earlier this year. I think the gist is, people are literally paid to write them, i think akin to those "suppliment your income" survey sites...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56321576

Top Bottom