Family support

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Gee

Mrs Gee worries that I am either going to have an accident, or wear myself out. i recently got a new road bike, to supplement the old tourer I had been using. When she saw me looking online at wedge saddlebags she suggested, in all seriousness, that a basket on the front would be much more convenient!

My Dad's side of the family are supportive, as they either are or were cyclists, and also ride motorbikes. We often talk about it.

My Mother's side of the family aren't that supportive. They think its dangerous, and seem to care more about the fact that my bike scratches my mother's motorcars' paintwork.

Don't currently have a 'significant other' so can't comment on what they'd say. But I do consider myself as looking good in lycra ;)

Fifelad

Veteran
My wife who is a non cyclist and non sporty is pretty supportive of my cycling. However there are times when I dont mention I have spent money on yet another thing I dont need as I cant be bothered explaining why I need it, especially when we are going on hols in 4 weeks :rolleyes: She doesnt have an argument if I was to point out that when she smoked she was puffing away about £180 a month....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My wife let's me get on with it,she knows that i'd be an even grumpier git than i am now if i didn't go on the bike.She knows it keeps me happy and fit,though she worries about me when i'm out and not back when i said i'd be. As others have mentioned,we were taught to ride bikes from an early age as car travel wasn't an option,so it's a way of life!!
However the in laws think that we should spend each waking day together just like they do.When my wife told them after we'd come back from holiday,that i'd spent hours nearly every day cycling they more or less said i was weird!:ohmy:

AnnaNanna

Regular
I chose to get a bike on Monday (I think), which my dad was very supportive about. I was greatly encouraged by my blokey, who has recently also bought a bike and is somewhat addicted to it. We've assembled the bike together (exciting stuff for a mere newbie like me) and have the urge to go most days. Today is my first "big park" ride.

My uncle passed away 3 days ago (one day after my first ride) and I missed him by about 10 mins. I was all prepared to tell him about my new adventures, and it's now bugging me that I can't. However he loved cycling, and it seems to be bringing great comfort to my auntie that I am cycling :-)

Sandra6

Veteran
Sorry to hear about your uncle Anna, but it's good that you are cycling and a comfort to your Aunt.
Mr6 is a keen cyclist so we are supportive/tolerant of each other in equal measures. We do clash in our opinions sometimes, and not only in terms of bikes and cycling.
My children think I'm a crazy bike lady and my extended family are mostly oblivious to what I'm up to.

Nick Stone

My wife used to cycle but since we had the little one hasn't been back on her mountain bike yet, she used to take great delight though overtaking people up hill on her cheap Scott contessa when they were riding mid life crisis bikes, she can get down the side of a mountain a fair bit quicker than most as well. She likes I have an interest and even agreed when I said I wanted a new bike (doesn't like the colour though) turns a blind eye when the packages arrive from the Internet and even when I spoke to her whilst on a break during a ride last week and told her I'd come off offered to drive 40 plus miles to pick me up (she didn't I rode to the end).

She's seen the benefits it's having, weights dropping off, more energy etc. loves calling me a bike geek. And let's me disappear all the time to ride, my folks support it, they ride on old railway lines and nature routes, my brother used to race MTB so there not bad either. The in laws do think I'm weird but that's nothing new.

Feel quiet lucky

Hip Priest

Veteran
My whole family are very supportive.

Apparently, my young nephew has been proudly informing his school chums that his uncle did 104 miles in a day!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Mrs. GA very supportive, as are the in-laws (lifetime cyclists) and my own family has a lot of cycling in their past, but most of them have passed. Cycling plays a big role in life extension in my family, if you keep at it. I know I could not have kept up cycling without family support. I can still remember my father, in his late 40's or early 50's, showing me how to ride in traffic and tour great distances (to me). It was an eye-opener, as you just did not see that many people doing such things at that age. My mother never drove a car, walked or biked where she went, or got my father to drive her. Of course, there were still neighborhood schools and markets in the States in the 60's and 70's, so that was not the concern it is today, although we all went pretty far afield, as I recall.

Top Bottom