Sustrans Supporters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Out on a ride today and I was stopped by a nice enough guy from Sustrans. I had a feeling it wasn't going to end well as I just make a point of refusing to share my financial information with a stranger at the side of the road. We did have quite a good discussion and a frank exchange of views as there is a distinct lack of infrastructure where I live and you can really only form an opinion from your own experiences.

Anyway, it came to the obvious conclusion when he finally got to the point of the discussion, which was to get me to sign up to a monthly contribution by direct debit. A shame really, as I would like to support them, but locally they are almost invisible. I did wonder if anyone else has a different view and was happy to part with some folding to support the work that they do?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello @Slick :hello:
Indeed (quite a few years ago now, maybe 2017/18?), I did get stopped in the Green by a pleasant young man wanting money for Sustrans.
Because at the time I was using the network a lot, I agreed to a fiver a month.
This amount stayed till post lockdown, when I got a phone call asking if I'd consider increasing the fiver to a monthly £8.
I did increase my donation.
Nowadays I don't cycle as much as I used to back then, but if I want to ride for leisure I use the local sustrans paths.
The network is mostly a dog's dinner 🤣 but at least your chances of being run over by a motor are somehow minimized.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Hello @Slick :hello:
Indeed (quite a few years ago now, maybe 2017/18?), I did get stopped in the Green by a pleasant young man wanting money for Sustrans.
Because at the time I was using the network a lot, I agreed to a fiver a month.
This amount stayed till post lockdown, when I got a phone call asking if I'd consider increasing the fiver to a monthly £8.
I did increase my donation.
Nowadays I don't cycle as much as I used to back then, but if I want to ride for leisure I use the local sustrans paths.
The network is mostly a dog's dinner 🤣 but at least your chances of being run over by a motor are somehow minimized.

Hi Pat, I should have known you would be chipping in to the pot. I probably should get over the fact that the cycle path finishes right outside my house, and it spits cyclists out on the fastest stretch of the road possible. I do struggle with it, but tip my hat to anyone like your goodself who will put at least some cash where their mouth is. :thumbsup:

albion

Guru
Heading through Ponteland to get to Belsay I stumbled onto the Sustrans Ponteland bypass. (Reivers Route 10 )
Having avoided it for many a year I stupidly gave it another go. Result, mud up over the top of my reasonably tall boots.
So no change in 10+ years. The stupid route is likely only usable during droughts. I need to set a reminder to try again in 2029.

You very seldom get warning for closures or total lack of navigability.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Pat, I should have known you would be chipping in to the pot. I probably should get over the fact that the cycle path finishes right outside my house, and it spits cyclists out on the fastest stretch of the road possible. I do struggle with it, but tip my hat to anyone like your goodself who will put at least some cash where their mouth is. :thumbsup:
You have a point, some of the network's paths really need a rethink.
But we can also have some great days out cycling thanks to those routes
Imo they get better the further away they are from Glasgow city :laugh:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
We can each support the charities we choose. I have direct debits set up for a few - not Sustrans though. It sounds like your chap might actually have been associated with Sustrans rather than the people you come across on the high street who are just employed for a short time to sell whichever charity it is.

I suspect that Sustrans work in an area depends very much on how many volunteers they have and how proactive they and the volunteer manager are. I follow the local Sustrans Facebook page and they are often posting about things they are doing in Durham - clearing paths and painting signs - but I don't remember seeing them posting about doing anything in Northumberland.

D

Deleted member 121159

Bear in mind that Sustrans also has active research & campaigning wings and advocates for things like active travel for disabled people. Their focus is more on making cycling accessible for more people, so the routes aren't necessarily great for faster cyclists. But if I'm cycling with someone who's less confident on the road, I know that they'll be fine if I stick to NCN routes.

albion

Guru
They predominately use the quietest routes, even if it/they are extremely hilly.
Speed, distance and commuting do not come into the route equation.

Out on a ride today and I was stopped by a nice enough guy from Sustrans. I had a feeling it wasn't going to end well as I just make a point of refusing to share my financial information with a stranger at the side of the road. We did have quite a good discussion and a frank exchange of views as there is a distinct lack of infrastructure where I live and you can really only form an opinion from your own experiences.

Anyway, it came to the obvious conclusion when he finally got to the point of the discussion, which was to get me to sign up to a monthly contribution by direct debit. A shame really, as I would like to support them, but locally they are almost invisible. I did wonder if anyone else has a different view and was happy to part with some folding to support the work that they do?

I never allow any charity to direct debit my bank or credit card. Banks in Oz allow customers to set up regular payments which I do for my Church and the gym. I can cancel these at any time.
I prefer to make annual payments to charities of my choice.

I don't really know a lot about sustrans so i went on their website.
Using the drop down box of find routes near you i put in East of England.
Seeing East of England is quite a big area it came up with four routes and none in Essex.

D

Deleted member 121159

I don't really know a lot about sustrans so i went on their website.
Using the drop down box of find routes near you i put in East of England.
Seeing East of England is quite a big area it came up with four routes and none in Essex.

When I put East of England, I get 26 results and many of them in Essex. Are you on "Find a route on the National Cycle Network"?

In any case you must have seen signs like this:
798px-NCN-route71-route-657-signs.jpg

Top Bottom