Fantastic Cycle Lane Design!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267554/Britains-barmiest-bike-lane-wide-rest-road.html

article-1267554-093A055F000005DC-179_636x477.jpg

Hehe, the cycle lane is actually wider than the remaining section of the lane.

Obvious fussing from the Daily Mail article, but actually...I'd quite happily use that cycle lane lol.

Norm

I'm wondering if it further reinforces the idea that it is ok to drive in a cycle lane.

I know it's got broken lines and I would like to think that it would start to encourage the perception that cyclists can be 6-8 feet from the kerb without getting tooted, but I doubt many who don't ride bikes will see it as such.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Excellent work. Only error is they probably should have claimed 6 inches to a foot of the lane to the right and given it to the centre lane.

It is great - I have ridden on similar in Europe - THe dotted line says its is OK to drive in the cycle lane when there are no cyclists but if you want to overtake the cyclist this is where you have to be

wafflycat

Norm said:
I'm wondering if it further reinforces the idea that it is ok to drive in a cycle lane.

I know it's got broken lines and I would like to think that it would start to encourage the perception that cyclists can be 6-8 feet from the kerb without getting tooted, but I doubt many who don't ride bikes will see it as such.

As it's an advisory lane only, not a mandatory lane, it's acceptable for a motorist to drive in the lane. Of course the usual rabid rantings of ignorant petrolheads are burgeoning in the Wail comments section...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That one looks pretty sensible to me, but I agree - move the centre line over to the right another foot or so.

Take a look at these two short cycle paths on opposite sides of the A646 near Cornholme, Lancashire.

There is a children's play area opposite the houses and a pedestrian refuge in the centre of the road to help parents and kids get over to it. This effectively makes the road pretty narrow so vehicles might have had to slow down for a few seconds when they came up behind cyclists there. What could be done about this unacceptable delay? Get the useless gits off the road for a few yards, of course. The fact that they would then have to reenter the traffic flow 30 yards further on doesn't present any potential hazard of course because cyclists, having yielded to the traffic, can now wait as long as necessary to get back onto the road again...

(Since that photo was taken, markings have been added to the lay-by to show that a cycle path goes through it.)

Looks like a daft idea to me leaving that space for cars. Why have they left any part of it at all for cars? Why do drivers think they should be allowed on the roads, when they don't pay road tax?

When they pay road tax, then they can use the road!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Looks like a daft idea to me leaving that space for cars. Why have they left any part of it at all for cars? Why do drivers think they should be allowed on the roads, when they don't pay road tax?

When they pay road tax, then they can use the road!

LOL.

StuartG

slower but further
thomas said:
Obvious fussing from the Daily Mail article.
Liked this one ...

Two normal coloured tarmacs went into the pub for a drink. As they were ordering a red tarmac came to the bar.

One of the normal tarmacs said to the other "Watch him, he's a cyclepath".

I strongly advise a brush and a tin of dark grey paint, and paint that silly line right out again. Motorists need to know how much room to give a cyclist when overtaking, on every road, not just on a road with a bit of artwork painted on. If you're a good driver you can overtake a cyclist on any road provided that it's safe to do so.

That's one of the eternal problems with cycle lanes. They aren't everywhere and if used too indulgently, a novice cyclist suddenly confronted with a road without one may feel intimidated.

StuartG said:
Liked this one ...

Two normal coloured tarmacs went into the pub for a drink. As they were ordering a red tarmac came to the bar.

One of the normal tarmacs said to the other "Watch him, he's a cyclepath".
The version of that one which I heard a while ago, was a bit longer ;):
A lump of black tarmac walks into a bar, orders a pint and as the barman is serving him, it says to him “I’m f***ing hard I am.”
The barman looks a little taken aback, but says to him “Really, sir, that’s very nice for you.”
The black tarmac sits down to drink his pint. When he is ready, he walks back up to the bar and orders another pint. Again, the barman serves him the pint and again the black tarmac says “I’m f***ing hard I am.” The barman is finding this stranger still, but again he says “Really, sir, that’s very nice for you.”
This happens a few more times until the door to the pub opens and in walks a lump of red tarmac. Seeing the red tarmac, the black tarmac gets up and runs out of the back door. The red tarmac walks up to the bar and orders a pint.
“That’s strange,” says the barman, “we had a lump of black tarmac in here just now.”
The red tarmac replies menacingly, “Really? Where is he now?”
The barman has a look round but can’t see the black tarmac anywhere.
“Oh, he must have gone,” he replies, so he serves the pint and the red tarmac sits down to drink it.
The barman goes outside to collect some glasses and finds the black tarmac hiding under one of the tables shaking. “Hey!” says the barman. “What are you doing there? I thought you were f***ing hard.”
The black tarmac looks at him and says:

“Course I’m hard, but that red tarmac – he’s a – a f***ing cycle path!”

Top Bottom