Fantastic Cycle Lane Design!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the Rotherham area: Cycle Lane = Road Narrowing Method.

Meadowbank Road - Wider islands, wider hash markings, cycle lane in one direction only.

Brampton Bierlow - Wider islands, road humps, bus laybys filled in (so the bus blocks the lane), cycle lanes less than 100m long. I'll not mention the £47,000.00 bit of metal plate they call a sculpture!

To me a cycle lane is a waste of paint, designed to further restrict cyclists as legitimate road users. As a road user I demand the same rights and considerations regardless of whether I'm riding my bike or driving my 200bhp coupe.
It's up to those who don't experience both sides to learn how to work with the other or take the bus (and block the road at every Rotherham bus stop).

Nigel-YZ1, regarding cycle lanes in Rotherham, I'd say Broom Lane is the worst one. Ever since it was painted in the early part of the last decade (2002 ish?), there have always been cars parked in it, making it unusable.

I believe that was part of some 'Traffic Calming Measures', which included spikey bits of pavement and bus stops opposite each other.

The one on High Street in Maltby isn't much better either as it is quite thin and is very close to parked cars.

orbiter

just jim said:
Look at that generous overtake though!
That's the whole point of the 'advisory' cycle lane. They work excellently on minor roads in Holland. And they help teach drivers how much space they should give to bikes.

thomas said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1267554/Britains-barmiest-bike-lane-wide-rest-road.html

article-1267554-093A055F000005DC-179_636x477.jpg

Hehe, the cycle lane is actually wider than the remaining section of the lane.

Obvious fussing from the Daily Mail article, but actually...I'd quite happily use that cycle lane lol.

Doesn't that picture just show that the lines are incorrectly placed, as if the car followed the lines they'd be on the otherside of the road?

matthew

Riverman said:
Doesn't that picture just show that the lines are incorrectly placed, as if the car followed the lines they'd be on the otherside of the road?

No it is spot on, if there is no cyclist you are allowed to drive in it, but if there is a cyclist using the lane you must use the oncoming lane to perform a safe overtake.

DavieB

MIA
matthew said:
No it is spot on, if there is no cyclist you are allowed to drive in it, but if there is a cyclist using the lane you must use the oncoming lane to perform a safe overtake.

Is that the same rule for the blue boxes in front of the stopline for cars?

AnotherEye

DavieB said:
Is that the same rule for the blue boxes in front of the stopline for cars?
No, even if there are no cyclists in the 'boxes', motor vehicles should not stop ahead of the main stop line (I think the fine is 60 pounds, bring it on). There are circumstances whereby they are exempt (Lights change when they are in that position and unsafe to move forward?).

Top Bottom