Fantastic gifts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowwww

Veteran
Was that an off the cuff comment?

....and yes I have about 40 set of links as they're rather a passion of mine!

The best present I received was a hand warmer about 30 years ago. It was a bit smaller than a cigarette case and inside you placed a piece of charcoal I guess it was, that you lit first, then placed inside. Gradually it got warmer and warmer. It was brilliant.

I don't think you can get them anymore. Then again I suppose the health and safety people wouldn't be pleased if people could walk walk around with something smouldering in they're coat pockets. I don't understand why though....
I had one those!!! I used to take it school:ohmy: nowadays as you say H&S would go nuts... I'd properly get suspended for it, at the time I remember showing it to a few teachers who thought it was great!

Christopher

Über Member
Cookware from my rellies and OH. Top quality stuff, has been used almost daily and still looks new

& at the risk of sounding pretentious, an appreciation of good cooking and how easy it can be.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I got a pair of cuffs inks last Christmas. I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to have my wrists pierced.

As for gifts, Mum gave me Dad's Omega when he died. Wear it every day and nothing comes close to being as useful and sentimental at the same time.

My family hate buying for me. Problem is I really done want anything. Although surely that is good!

I don't own any jewellery or anything with a great intrinsic value. I have been thinking and cannot think if anything I would dash bask into the house to save in a fire if all the family were out. Perhaps the photographs.

Last week I found a hole in my favourite jacket that I have had for about 10 years and was a bit unhappy with that. May just be the cost of getting a replacement .

I have made a few things and done some paintings that I am happy to have and so rather hang on to them. Apart from that I am very fond of my home; I have lived here for 24 years and we bought it as a run-down chapel and I have converted it, restored it, extended it twice and done everything on it in that time. So that is probably the "thing" I am most fond of.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
One of my favourite gifts is a t-shirt made by the Bicycle Transportation Alliance in Washington State, USA. My sister married a Yank and lived in Washington State for a while, and sent me the t-shirt for a birthday. It has a stylised bicycle wheel on the front with various pro-cycling messages in small font, but on the rear, in very large lettering, is the phrase "ONE LESS CAR" :biggrin:. My only regret is that I don't get too many comments from people when wearing it: despite Melbourne motorists' reputation for being aggressive, intolerant drivers (or some of them, at least), they seem to be pansies when it comes to confronting people face-to-face. (sigh) All those lost opportunities to argue with motorists about my right to use the roads :laugh:.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I get annoyed when people give me gifts after I have done a small deed for them, I do it because they are friends or neighbours, take last Sunday I saved a friend from spending over £400, Oh I must take you out for a meal, when's your birthday. I'm sorry I don't want it, a thank you is all I need.
I'm always doing favours for friends & family.... putting up shelves, changing light bulbs, stopping their cellar from flooding in the next inevitable downpour, helping fit a chimney lining, helping build a gate, shed, fence, mending bikes, PC help & tutorials, etc... and like you i want nothing i return.... however it's important for them to do something in return... that way they can ask for my/your help the next time the need it and not feel like they're simply 'using' you/me :smile:.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My Cube Agree GTC.
It was a present from me and my wife. I had for the previous 3-4 years been in employment hell and right royally shafted. I was payed off and this money went to solicitors fees when we had to buy a new house. I got a new job as maternity cover. The job was made permenant 2 years ago.

As a celebration I had the bike. I went out on it one warm, sunny evening and was cycling to Comberton past the Mullard radio telescopes when all of a sudden I had one of those intense warm fuzzy feelings when you realise life is great again.

Top Bottom