Fantastic Overtake by a Skip driver :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Just thought I'd share this.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLMGi3v66Q

Really good skip driver, didn't try forcing past or overtaking in a small gap. Waited and gave me loads of room! Gave him a thank you wave and got one back. :biggrin:

I've heard some stories about some skip drivers being 'cow boys', but this guys driving was fantastic ;)

(shame about the tiny van man at the end!)

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Just thought I'd share this.

Really good skip driver, didn't try forcing past or overtaking in a small gap. Waited and gave me loads of room! Gave him a thank you wave and got one back. :biggrin:

I've heard some stories about some skip drivers being 'cow boys', but this guys driving was fantastic ;)

(shame about the tiny van man at the end!)

Yes the skip overtake was good.

Now that I am cycling on some country roads I have been surprised at how patient most drivers are. The vast majority of overtakes involve the vehicle going almost completely into the opposite lane.

Of course you still get the muppets, and that chap in the little van at the end was an idiot. Possibly worth reporting?

Might be worth contacting the skip company to thank the driver.

Yes the skip overtake was good.

Now that I am cycling on some country roads I have been surprised at how patient most drivers are. The vast majority of overtakes involve the vehicle going almost completely into the opposite lane.

Of course you still get the muppets, and that chap in the little van at the end was an idiot. Possibly worth reporting?

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
magnatom said:

Reporting the tiny van man to the police? Though it shocked me and wasn't safe, it isn't the sort of thing that I'm going to give a moments thought to. I wouldn't say it was worth reporting/wasting my time trying to get the Police to care ;). If it was a company van (or had details on it, I would pass it on).

As for contacting the skip company I have just emailed them :biggrin:. Definitly worth a quick email, hopefully my thanks will be passed on!

Hi,
This is just a quick email to let you know about the fantastic driving I experienced from one of your drivers at around 9.30 to 10 o'clock this morning (5/01/10), along the main road between Godalming and Guildford.

I am a cyclist and due to some very close overtakes and poor driving I've experienced in the past, I have a small, helmet mounted camera on my bicycle.

Some other cyclist I know have had problems with 'skip' lorries, coming past far too close and not being responsible on the road. Now, I'm sure that this is just a stereotype (cyclists have many!).

Though I wouldn't normally email companies every time a driver passes me safely, I thought the overtake this morning was worth merit. The driver didn't overtake in some of the smaller gaps in traffic or try squeezing past which less experienced drivers might do. When he did overtake he gave a nice amount of room and didn't pull in too soon. In my opinion, the driver showed very good anticipation and understood the needs of cyclists.

You can see the driving in the video below.

I am sure that this is the standard of all of your drivers, but I can only speak for this guy. I gave him a thumbs up and a thank you wave which he acknowledged. This type of driving should really be encouraged, so if you could pass my thanks on to the driver that would be great!

Thanks,
Thomas

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
magnatom said:

Reporting the tiny van man to the police? Though it shocked me and wasn't safe, it isn't the sort of thing that I'm going to give a moments thought to. I wouldn't say it was worth reporting/wasting my time trying to get the Police to care ;). If it was a company van (or had details on it, I would pass it on).

As for contacting the skip company I have just emailed them :biggrin:. Definitly worth a quick email, hopefully my thanks will be passed on!

Hi,
This is just a quick email to let you know about the fantastic driving I experienced from one of your drivers at around 9.30 to 10 o'clock this morning (5/01/10), along the main road between Godalming and Guildford.

I am a cyclist and due to some very close overtakes and poor driving I've experienced in the past, I have a small, helmet mounted camera on my bicycle.

Some other cyclist I know have had problems with 'skip' lorries, coming past far too close and not being responsible on the road. Now, I'm sure that this is just a stereotype (cyclists have many!).

Though I wouldn't normally email companies every time a driver passes me safely, I thought the overtake this morning was worth merit. The driver didn't overtake in some of the smaller gaps in traffic or try squeezing past which less experienced drivers might do. When he did overtake he gave a nice amount of room and didn't pull in too soon. In my opinion, the driver showed very good anticipation and understood the needs of cyclists.

You can see the driving in the video below.

I am sure that this is the standard of all of your drivers, but I can only speak for this guy. I gave him a thumbs up and a thank you wave which he acknowledged. This type of driving should really be encouraged, so if you could pass my thanks on to the driver that would be great!

Thanks,
Thomas

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
nice to see some positive filming for a change. Let us know if you get a reply.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
ianrauk said:

More positive filming sir? It is just nice to have some positive driving ;).

I hope I do get a reply, just to know that they received my email really. I got quite a quick reply from Biffa (bin lorries), which is a similar type of company (not that that means much). There shouldn't really be any reason not to reply when it is a compliment :biggrin:.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
ianrauk said:

More positive filming sir? It is just nice to have some positive driving ;).

I hope I do get a reply, just to know that they received my email really. I got quite a quick reply from Biffa (bin lorries), which is a similar type of company (not that that means much). There shouldn't really be any reason not to reply when it is a compliment :biggrin:.

Top Bottom