Fantastic ride to Amsterdam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Great right up...really enjoyed it. And a very beautiful riding companion!! I'm in envy of her stylishness on a bike, somehow I never look that cool.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Thanks, Cathryn. Yes, Italians do seem to have the knack of looking stylish where the rest of us just look sweaty. :-)

rh100

Great

I really enjoyed Amsterdam when I visited a few years back, would like to go on a bike.

It didn't look like you were carrying too much gear.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

I've been to Amsterdam about a dozen times before (mostly on business), but it's the first time I've cycled there, and it's definitely the way to explore the city.

Not much gear, no, just the two Radical Pod bags.

killiekosmos

Veteran
Ben,
A very intresting write-up. Sounds and looks like it was a wonderful trip.

Your trike also looks very interesting.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Great stuff. I was amused by your comments about the British-run return ferry. The outgoing one is Dutch, spotlessly clean and with delightful Dutch staff. The Stena Britannica, on the other hand is ....err... well, British. A pretty bleak contrast.

Strangely enough, you took some landscape views on the LF1 at exactly the same places as I did. The difference is that yours looked good!

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

slowmotion said:
Great stuff. I was amused by your comments about the British-run return ferry. The outgoing one is Dutch, spotlessly clean and with delightful Dutch staff. The Stena Britannica, on the other hand is ....err... well, British. A pretty bleak contrast.
Ah, that would explain it alright! I took a comment card, so I think I'll suggest they send their British staff on the same training course as the Dutch ones ...

Strangely enough, you took some landscape views on the LF1 at exactly the same places as I did. The difference is that yours looked good!
Heh, thanks.

Echolalia

Veteran
I love cycling through Holland, you suddenly realise how polished everything is there, it can get quite tedious quickly though - too straight and the outskirts of cities are some of most uninspiring industrial areas ever seen. But the place has a charm, and good food when you want to fill up.

A huge error I made was to cycle to the end of the North Sea route at Den Haag, then decide to take my bike on the beach thinking I could walk it to the next section - big mistake! - I ended up walking for two hours, with heavy loaded bike on sand that was not really wet enough to hold a heavy bike. Enclosed by sand dunes, sand and bike chains mix like libreral democrats and the left - it does not happen.

Still it felt good to be in Holland.

Thanks..

Ben for a great write up on your travels with Tiz. I just think that it so great that because you both enjoy the same thing ie cycling that two complete strangers can meet up and have such a great time together.
As for the b & w shots I know you must have felt miffed when you discovered your mistake but for me thay have a depth of detail you can never get with colour.
Don't forget to let us know when you set off on your London Paris ride.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Echolalia said:
A huge error I made was to cycle to the end of the North Sea route at Den Haag, then decide to take my bike on the beach thinking I could walk it to the next section - big mistake!
Yes, I bet!

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

hondated said:
Ben for a great write up on your travels with Tiz. I just think that it so great that because you both enjoy the same thing ie cycling that two complete strangers can meet up and have such a great time together.
We met up beforehand - always good to make sure you get on with someone before taking a multi-day trip with them!

As for the b & w shots I know you must have felt miffed when you discovered your mistake but for me thay have a depth of detail you can never get with colour.
I love b&w, especially for wedding shots, but prefer colour for that type of scenery.

Don't forget to let us know when you set off on your London Paris ride.
Will do, will be seeking route recommendations for that.

Top Bottom