Farewell to the ISS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wow.

And

Crying.

Do you think Bowie ever imagined....

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It must be quite something to have spent so much time up there (and really appreciated it - as shown by all his tweets), and to know you will never go back...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I was recently with a group of people I know and we were outside having a pint when the ISS went over.
"WOW" I exclaimed "Look everyone it's the ISS!"
I was met with a chorus of silence and shrugging of shoulders. I explained that the incredibly bright light moving through the sky above us was the International Space Station, blank stares and a general "Meh" attitude.
Don't you realise what that is? It's an actual thing which we put there and there's a person inside it and we can see it and it's amazing!
Meh.
People make me mad sometimes :cursing:

Anyway, amazing video, thanks :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 20519

Saw this video earlier today, truly amazing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was recently with a group of people I know and we were outside having a pint when the ISS went over.
I was met with a chorus of silence and shrugging of shoulders. I explained that the incredibly bright light moving through the sky above us was the International Space Station, blank stares and a general "Meh" attitude.
Don't you realise what that is? It's an actual thing which we put there and there's a person inside it and we can see it and it's amazing!
Meh.

As soon as I saw this thread this morning, I posted the link over on YACF, where I expected an explosion of "Wow, cool!".

Not a single reply. In a huff, moi? :angry:

Maybe the cool people haven't seen it yet...

We were in a cafe with the BBC News channel on earlier, and they were trailing a feature on Cmdr Hadfield. Seems the media are catching up with him just as he comes home.

Like Spinney says, it must be a huge conflict of emotion coming home to friends and family, not to mention the physical strain of suddenly having gravity again.

I'm already following two of the crew due to go up at the end of the month, hoping they will continue the tweeting tradition.

Arch

Married to Night Train
BTW @Speicher, I wondered if Luca Parmitano might be your sort of guy?

BJmjiO0CYAAfleL.jpg

I love this pic, he tweeted it with the caption "Did you hear a funny noise?", and it was taken during a training emergency exercise. Reminds me a lot of Cpt Pichard!

Reactions: TVC

subaqua

What’s the point
As soon as I saw this thread this morning, I posted the link over on YACF, where I expected an explosion of "Wow, cool!".

We were in a cafe with the BBC News channel on earlier, and they were trailing a feature on Cmdr Hadfield. Seems the media are catching up with him just as he comes home.

Like Spinney says, it must be a huge conflict of emotion coming home to friends and family, not to mention the physical strain of suddenly having gravity again.

I'm already following two of the crew due to go up at the end of the month, hoping they will continue the tweeting tradition.
and who are they with twitter @ please

Lullabelle

Banana

I only found out about this on BBC Breakfast today, had I known I would have set up a twitter account much sooner and followed. Totally amazing and awe inspiring.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I only found out about this on BBC Breakfast today, had I known I would have set up a twitter account much sooner and followed. Totally amazing and awe inspiring.

You could set one up and follow, and then look at all his tweets retrospectively, I think. Some of the photos are really amazing, especially when he captures a place you know.

One of the amazing things is when he captures a jet contrail. You see them from the ground and they seem to high up. But from space, they look so low down!

Lullabelle

Banana
OMG! I have found him on twitter and have seen a couple of amazing pics, look forward to many more and maybe following others. We have seen the ISS fly over a couple of times and it sent a tingle down my spine.

gbb

Legendary Member
Meh.

Reminds me of a pre ISS sighting some years ago..
We were standing at work and I looked up and saw a satellite gleaming much brighter than the surrounding stars.
'Look how bright that satellite is' I exclaimed.
'WHAT, are you stupid, you can't see a satellite' indignantly replied a mate.
'Course you can, it's the sun reflecting on its shiny surfaces you can see'
'Faarrrrk off, you can't see a satellite, you're taking the pee'
'Im telling ya....etc etc etc'

To this day...he still doesn't believe me.

Top Bottom