Farewell to the ISS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got the ISS tracker on my phone.

Saw it a few weeks ago in N. Wales. Amazing. Really struggle where I live due to light polution.
Really? So long as there's not too much cloud it's perfectly visible in the permanent orange-tinted crystal palace sky (can see so much more at mothers up in Derbyshire though, so many shooting stars)

I was 310th view of that video, it's had a million and a half views now, phenomenal.

avsd

Guru
Excellent video - thanks for sharing it. I was a child of the Apollo space programme so I have always had an interest in space travel.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I was 9 when Neil Armstrong walked on the Moon. I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime to watch it live on TV (remember James Burke?). Been space (and aviation) mad ever since.

subaqua

What’s the point
I was 9 when Neil Armstrong walked on the Moon. I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime to watch it live on TV (remember James Burke?). Been space (and aviation) mad ever since.
I am a child of the 70s but remember a floppy vinyl recording of the descent to the moon and the stepping onto the moon

avsd

Guru
Tomorrow's World was so wrong - this was to be the age of leisure - how wrong has that prediction. This generation seems to have fewer people be working longer hours

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'd prefer it if he [the astronaut] didn't sing...

It's not Tomorrow's World's fault that a fairer social society hasn't developed with everyone working less and enjoying more leisure time.

We went all the way to the moon 45 years ago in what was really not much more than a tin can. Now they go nowhere and just seem to lark around like it is a Royal Institution Christmas lecture.

Arch

Married to Night Train
We went all the way to the moon 45 years ago in what was really not much more than a tin can. Now they go nowhere and just seem to lark around like it is a Royal Institution Christmas lecture.

They do a lot of important experiments though. If they lark about in their free time fair enough. I don't suppose you'd want to do nothing but work and sleep. Anyway, it's the cool fun stuff that gets public interest, leading to a) funding, and b) future astronauts and c) general interest in Science.

I'm in awe of the Moon landings and the pioneering spirit of the men who got us there - I was about a month old when Apollo 11 landed (and I'm only 43, thank you!) - but what has going to the Moon got us? Some everlasting footprints, some litter left on another heavenly body, and a whole load of loonies who reckon it never happened.

It's a mark of the progress of spaceflight that astronauts on the ISS can muck about as it they are just doing their day job, because they ARE just doing their day job. Adventuring is one thing, but the vastest benefit of space technology to most of us is the 'mundane' stuff like satellites - allowing us to watch cricket live from the other side of the world, and work out the quickest route to drive to IKEA....

Safe journey home guys!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Very nice :smile:. I just forwarded the YouTube link to various family. My older brother works on ground radar maintenance, so he's quite possibly already seen it.

Top Bottom