Farnborough airport protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
This was Farnborough when I was a kid.

View: https://youtu.be/O5o5ZdEJxD8

View: https://youtu.be/xNLWb0DEsoo

Now it's all rich footballers and celebrities flying in and out.

I can see an augment for limiting or even stopping air travel, but, if we are to have aircraft flying about, given a choice between military aircraft and "rich footballers and celebrities", I think I would choose the "rich footballers and celebrities".

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Edit - below is wrong see new post

It looks like the statistic comes from this report: https://www.transportenvironment.or...uper-rich-supercharge-zero-emission-aviation/

The report states in the summary at page 3 "Just 1% of people cause 50% of global aviation emissions" - but I haven't been able to find an explanation in the body text of how this has been estimated

1. If "1% of people" means "!% of people IN THE WORLD", I could be convinced to believe that figure, since most people in the world, probably, never fly.

2. "50% of global aviation emissions", OK, but, what %ge of global emissions does aviation contribute?

3. If we use WORLD population as a marker for many of our western "pastimes" (eg driving, motorcycling, eating meat etc etc) I am sure some "headline grabbing" %ges could be produced.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I can see an augment for limiting or even stopping air travel, but, if we are to have aircraft flying about, given a choice between military aircraft and "rich footballers and celebrities", I think I would choose the "rich footballers and celebrities".

I wonder when that choice will be offered as a referendum ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I get your point but having the world's greatest fighter jets trying to outdo each other with spectacular manoeuvres over your home town is pretty cool. Mind you, some of the big airliners are a lot more nimble than you'd expect. The A380 display a few years ago was pretty impressive.

Nothing beats the Russian jets though. They came to show off.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A few years ago, an erudite parishioner posted a link to a list of factors that contributed to preventing climate change in order of relative importance. Number 1 was women's education.

Reducing air travel was Number 25.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A few years ago, an erudite parishioner posted a link to a list of factors that contributed to preventing climate change in order of relative importance. Number 1 was women's education.

Reducing air travel was Number 25.

Can't argue with that ..

Then you can end up with super brainy women leading the charge on regenerative agriculture.

And in many other fields..:rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Can't argue with that ..

Then you can end up with super brainy women leading the charge on regenerative agriculture.

And in many other fields..:rolleyes:
I remember air travel's position in the Hot 100 because it made me feel less guilty about going to Kerala for three weeks. Alas, I can't find the original link to the list but I remember it as being surprising. Of course it might have been utter cojones.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I remember air travel's position in the Hot 100 because it made me feel less guilty about going to Kerala for three weeks. Alas, I can't find the original link to the list but I remember it as being surprising. Of course it might have been utter cojones.

Could easily have been.

But I'm not taking any risks with either.

Stopped flying years ago

And I'm keeping up with the education , and good farming.

If there was a heaven I reckon I'd be due a super-deluxe fluffy cloud to sit on, at the very least :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom