Farnborough airport protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Unfortunately I do like my holidays in Lapland. To get there without flying, Train to Edinburgh - London - Dover - Calais - Brussel - Hamburg - Kiel - Copenhagen - Malmo - Stockholm - Kiruna about 4 days. Back in the bad old days you could get the ferry to Bergan and train from there - only around 30 hours. Taking the train is also a lot more expensive. I know it's an indulgence but it is so nice up there.
No disrespect but there in lies one of the main issues. Those millions of little indulgences that millions of people have have the snowball effect. I 'deserve' a holiday abroad etc. If there was a way of demonstrating that Mr & Mrs family of four holiday to Spain would have XXXX impact precisely on this species or that village in the desert I still think people would go in the same way that they are aware of the impact on buying cheap from Primark but choose to look the other way as it were.

Not a cunning comparison - people choose to fly, whereas if people can't drive/don't own a car/insert excuse here and need to travel between cities they had no choice but to take a train.

And as it happens, the train is one of the less damaging means of transport, regardless of the political ethos behind the ownership of the railway or otherwise.

No, but I was rather pointing out that the original statement was rather simplistic. If people protest and they've lived a neo-Amish lifestyle then they "don't live in the real world"; if they protest and have committed some kind of climate "sin", which most of us have, then they are "Hypocrites".

Full disclosure: I have been to Japan several times and undoubtedly will again, and as it takes two weeks by rail, I'll be flying. Mea culpa; I wasn't thinking of everything when I married a Japanese girl 20 years ago. We travel to family in the UK by rail and/or boat and I haven't seen the inside of a car in months...

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's such a nonsense when individuals come here and argue amongst themselves about how terrible protestors activists and climate change concerned citizens are

It doesn't matter if you've been aware and concerned for three decades or three minutes
The really 'bad guys' are the oil corps heavy industry, and those who don't want to see action on the climate crises .

Those are the people we should be 'cross' with

We need to help those countries already suffering, yes.

a.twiddler

Veteran
In the form many of the greener options are currently proposed, the biggest losers of that are liable to be the poor in areas of the world that are already deprived.
Is this an argument for doing nothing then? When desertification increases, when droughts increase, when crops fail, when sea levels rise, all due to climate change, will the poor be having any less of a miserable time? As always, they will be on the sharp end of it. More of an argument for overcoming the issues and disagreements and taking action now.

It's interesting to view subjects from an alternative perspective at times, as it can put things in a different context. Without fossil fuels, life expectancy, general health and lifestyles would be far, far worse than they are today. Quite a few of the proposed measures deny that same thing for those yet to feel its benefits.

That's not saying do nothing, but the proposed measures will impact heavily and negatively on those same areas. A big part of the reason for that is that the measures are not driven by science, but by politics and an ignorance or at least a misunderstanding of the science.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
In the form many of the greener options are currently proposed, the biggest losers of that are liable to be the poor in areas of the world that are already deprived.
Which options? Proposed by who?

Is this an argument for doing nothing then? When desertification increases, when droughts increase, when crops fail, when sea levels rise, all due to climate change, will the poor be having any less of a miserable time? As always, they will be on the sharp end of it. More of an argument for overcoming the issues and disagreements and taking action now.

And that's the sort of misappropriation of a comment that doesn't help anything. All of the things you mentioned have been protected thus far by petroleum products. Without an appropriate replacement, things will simply revert back to those same problems.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"Private flyers cause half of aviation’s global emissions" says the tw*t in the OP. Can someone help with a 'fact check'?
The really 'bad guys' are the oil corps heavy industry, and those who don't want to see action on the climate crises .
BP leading the way (out, to net zero):

BP’s new purpose is reimagining energy for people and our planet.
The purpose is underpinned by an industry-leading ambition – for BP to become a net zero company by 2050 or sooner, and to help the world get to net zero - To deliver all this, BP will fundamentally transform its whole organisation, and maintain its commitment to performing while transforming.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
"Private flyers cause half of aviation’s global emissions" says the tw*t in the OP. Can someone help with a 'fact check'?
If "private flyers" includes leisure travel it sounds plausible. So called "executive jets" are simply a notable manifestation of the same problem and an easy target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom