"fashion"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I remember when my Sister was studying in Cambridge. I popped upto visit her a few times and at the time had a very well paying job. As "2nd hand chic" was all the rage I found I could not afford to shop there. These shops are a great marker as to the affluence of an area.
Charity shops. The clothes are good quality, superb value for money and your cash goes somewhere useful.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
If i try to do fashion i invariably get it very wrong so stick to jeans and t-shirts now.

That All Saints stuff looks nice, 15 quid for a handkerchief seems a bit steep though.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I once bought a pair of ASDA Smartprice jeans for £4.99. I think they were cut for Quasimodo. One leg was shorter than the other, and one buttock was bigger than the other.

The jeans are fine, that's just you XM!
wink.gif

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I remember when my Sister was studying in Cambridge. I popped upto visit her a few times and at the time had a very well paying job. As "2nd hand chic" was all the rage I found I could not afford to shop there. These shops are a great marker as to the affluence of an area.

Hmm, I don't remember Oxford's being like that (not that I studied there, just shacked up with someone who did but never left).

Still, round here they're good places to shop. Apart from underwear, I've not bought anything new for about a year now.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Get ready for beige slacks, pastel coloured jumpers and vinyl shoes...
Or, charidee shops can be really good...
Recently I invested in some quite expensive for me clobber from Rohan... jeans, 3/4 walking trousers and a casual shirt... they're quite stylish, and look like they'll last for ever!

suecsi

I'm more of a black, black, black, more black, black leather jacket, black caterpillar boots, skinhead, black, black, black levi 501s, black German industrial metal t-shirt, skull t-shirt, black, black, black, motorbikes, etc!

It happens to us ladies too ..... not sure how old you are but your clothing description sounds like the male version of me ..... you can have any colour as long as it is black, preferably with skulls on. Not the skinhead though!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ooooh! Noooo! It's all hipster-trendy-beardy-trendy-hipster-skinny-weeny-hipster-urban-beardy-fixie-urban-trendy-skinny-hipster-beardy!

I'm more of a black, black, black, more black, black leather jacket, black caterpillar boots, skinhead, black, black, black levi 501s, black German industrial metal t-shirt, skull t-shirt, black, black, black, motorbikes, etc!
not a bad look. I can't see what you're worried about.......

but give it a rest when you start to thicken out. Avoid the Fred 'Fi-Fi' McPhee thing.

fifimcphee.png

brockers

Charity shops. The clothes are good quality, superb value for money and your cash goes somewhere useful.

The charity shops I go to seem to be frequented by yummy-mummies/bored housewives and reasonably well-off looking types who snap up all the best stuff as soon as it's in the shop. Wouldn't mind, but they're depriving the permanently skint who actually can't afford to spend much on clothes. And the prices have gone up markedly in the last couple of years.

I've also come to the conclusion that anyone who's 5'7'' and skinny must be immortal, as there's never anything my size in charity shops.

A good place is eBay. Last month I picked up some virtually unworn Grenson suede brogues for £20 (they're £150 new), and a similar value unworn black leather blazer jacket for £9 (which doesn't quite fit, but hey..!)

Uniqlo can be OK for thirty year olds, if you can spot value, and there's always online retailers like ASOS, but they veer on the side of trendy. Worth a look though.

I used to buy a lot of stuff from charity shops but found they've got relatively pricey these days with the likes of TK Maxx and Matalan around (still use them for books though).

We've got a TK Maxx down the road and I pop in quite a lot and often pick up a bargain, I got a nice Lowe Alpine fleece for 8 quid last week.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
not a bad look. I can't see what you're worried about.......

but give it a rest when you start to thicken out. Avoid the Fred 'Fi-Fi' McPhee thing.

fifimcphee.png

Lol! No, I'll be aiming more for the Till Lindermann look ... but not when he's wearing some of his more outlandish outfits! A wedding dress splattered with fake blood, a mowhawk and a chainsaw probably wouldn't go down well in public ...

Top Bottom