Fast and slow recumbents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
What's the differences between high and low riders? In feel and performance? Cost, safety, security and reduction of fear when going fast downhill?
I think most low-riders are heavier than High-riders, maybe because they tend to be more oriented to comfort riding/touring. My Nazca Fuego has nice suspension*, which is really comfy and I would say necessary, as going over bumps can be – interesting ;), certainly at speed ! I'm fairly sure I would have been chucked off a couple of times when hitting unexpected bumps at a good speed :ohmy:.

High-riders are built lighter and are much more akin to upwrongs in weight – 12kg upwards and tend not to have suspension.

I've had brief trials on a couple of high-riders and they certainly feel lighter, though without a longer time spent with them, I couldn't say if they are 'better/easier' or 'more difficult' to ride. I'd say that the high-riders are easier uphill and way better for seeing over walls, hedges and fences ^_^. Also easier to communicate with accompanying riders too. Probably not quite as quick downhill – aerodynamics.

AFAICS, there are more low-riders on the second-hand market, so probably cheaper than high-riders. You might find a Barchetta high-rider second-hand.

Transporting – well, neither type is the easiest to carry around in/on a vehicle but my Fuego fits perfectly into my Citroen Berlingo, with the middle rear seat removed. That's why we bought the Berlingo ! High riders are possibly a bit trickier to transport but are usually a bit shorter in overall length, so might fit on the back of a vehicle, if a suitable rack is found...

Safety and security – I haven't had any issues, as being over 6ft tall, the boom is well extended, so anyone trying to ride it away needs to be a) over 6ft tall; and b) know how to ride a 'bent ! 'Bents are sufficiently distinctive that they get noticed. A lot ^_^.

Reduction of fear when going fast downhill – low-rider wins hands down, IMHO. I've been very fast down a big hill on Arran, with excellent sight lines, smooth tarmac and was (deliberately) very relaxed when doing it. Spun out wa-a-y before top speed, so all down to aerodymanics and weight (with touring gear).

HTH

*= extra weight. All-up weight of Fuego with mudguards, rear rack and small bag is +/- 18kg

Last edited:

grldtnr

I think most low-riders are heavier than High-riders, maybe because they tend to be more oriented to comfort riding/touring. My Nazca Fuego has nice suspension*, which is really comfy and I would say necessary, as going over bumps can be – interesting ;), certainly at speed ! I'm fairly sure I would have been chucked off a couple of times when hitting unexpected bumps at a good speed :ohmy:.

High-riders are built lighter and are much more akin to upwrongs in weight – 12kg upwards and tend not to have suspension.

I've had brief trials on a couple of high-riders and they certainly feel lighter, though without a longer time spent with them, I couldn't say if they are 'better/easier' or 'more difficult' to ride. I'd say that the high-riders are easier uphill and way better for seeing over walls, hedges and fences ^_^. Also easier to communicate with accompanying riders too. Probably not quite as quick downhill – aerodynamics.

AFAICS, there are more low-riders on the second-hand market, so probably cheaper than high-riders. You might find a Barchetta high-rider second-hand.

Transporting – well, neither type is the easiest to carry around in/on a vehicle but my Fuego fits perfectly into my Citroen Berlingo, with the middle rear seat removed. That's why we bought the Berlingo ! High riders are possibly a bit trickier to transport but are usually a bit shorter in overall length, so might fit on the back of a vehicle, if a suitable rack is found...

Safety and security – I haven't had any issues, as being over 6ft tall, the boom is well extended, so anyone trying to ride it away needs to be a) over 6ft tall; and b) know how to ride a 'bent ! 'Bents are sufficiently distinctive that they get noticed. A lot ^_^.

Reduction of gear when going fast downhill – low-rider wins hands down, IMHO. I've been very fast down a big hill on Arran, with excellent sight lines, smooth tarmac and was (deliberately) very relaxed when doing it. Spun out wa-a-y before top speed, so all down to aerodymanics and weight (with touring gear).

HTH

*= extra weight. All-up weight of Fuego with mudguards, rear rack and small bag is +/- 18kg
Just don't let the upwrongs know,on my trike they are amazed on how downhill round bends ,I get, mind you a huge bottle of brave pills help, but I can't help cackling with merriment as I drift & hike out!

My take .....

Low-riders tend to be built with the idea of minimizing the frontal area.
So a small front wheel to a variable size back wheel. The seat is tucked down between the wheels. The Ultimate is probably the Velocraft Nocom, so called because no compromise was taken building it.

High-racers tend to be built with the idea of minimizing parasitic drag.
So twin big wheels for better rolling resistance. The seat is high up to keep the chainline as straight as possible. You can either have a simple stick frame like the Bacchetta Corsa A70 or a more complex frame like the Optima High Baron.

Luck ........... ^_^

Best top speed; on the Kingcycle; downhill on the run into Brighton after Ditchling Beacon, Coldean Road ; 49.5 mph... as close to brown underpants as I have ever been. The recumbent position certainly helped to keep the mind focused, the body relaxed and left me feeling safe enough not to need to slow down. Road was closed but the organisers had narrowed the road near the t junction when you come down using metal barriers to halve the road width.
Hi Bob I have sent you a FB Message Nicola

Top Bottom