Fast commuter/leisure bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Hi all - newbie here and hope I've come to the best place.

I've had a scott P1 sportster for 2 years which I use for commuting in bad weather. I took the plunge and had a Trek WSD Pilot 1.2 road bike last April (people saying that once I'd rode a 'real' road bike, I'd never look back!) which I commute with and do a few miles on a weekend, for fitness more than anything.

When I think about it, I never felt 100% comfortable on the road bike, especially in traffic - soley due to the drop bars (IMO) which I find harder to control than the flats. I have also been knocked off it twice and then took a bad fall on Saturday hitting some ice. It has really put me off.

What I would ideally like is a middle of road between the Scott (which is heavy and with front suss) and the Trek. Is there such a think that exists? Or would it be possible to have flat bars put onto the Trek? Or am I just being wingey and should try and stick with the Trek?

Any opinions, help or advice would be well appreciated.

Thank you ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
No reason to stick with something you really don't like.

It sounds as though a light hybrid is what you want - my brother in law has a Sirrus Elite (£500 ish?) and is well pleased with it, for what that's worth.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Thanks both.

Sorry to sound thick, Tim (!) but wouldn't I have to change the brakes and gears for that? Or have new brake levers etc?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes, you would have to get new shifters and brake levers with the flat bars.

But you can mix and match from all sorts of Shimano ranges, including the mtb ones. It shouldn't be too expensive.

Maz

Guru
John the Monkey said:
No reason to stick with something you really don't like.

It sounds as though a light hybrid is what you want - my brother in law has a Sirrus Elite (£500 ish?) and is well pleased with it, for what that's worth.
I have a Sirrus Elite, too. Top bike, light and responsive. Easy to handle and a joy to ride.

domtyler

Über Member
Tim Bennet. said:
You can certainly have flat bars put on the Trek. Would be the most cost effective solution.

This may not be true. Conversion projects like this can end up costing a fortune.

Selling one bike and buying another can be cheaper and you know the costs upfront.

doyler78

I have the Sirrus Comp and it really is fast and comfortable to ride. I haven't had any probs with it and I have had it coming up for 4 years now however I am going the other way as I want a drop bar road bike for weekend rides. Will still use the flat bar most of the time for the commute. As regards weekend rides. I did 100km last summer on the Sirrus without any probs so it will last the distance on longer rides. Obviously no flat bar, no matter how good, can compete with the aero position you get from a sportive or race bike. You have to accept that you will go a little slower (though not nearly as much as most would have you think) especially when going into a headwind simply for the fact that you are higher on the bike.

I agree totally that flat bars are much easier to handle, especially around heavy traffic and also you will find that they give you a much better view over the traffic than you get when low down in drop bar bike. Well that's what I found when I took my bros out a couple of times.

Odd, I know lots of people who find flat-bar bikes easier to handle in heavy traffic, but I find the opposite actually.

I find the riding position of a roadbike more comfortable, and more suited to riding fast, than a flat bar. I know for sure that I am more happy on a roadbike than a flatbar roadbike - I just find it works better for me.

Don't stick with something you don't like though - always follow your gut feeling on the bike, as it will very rarely lead you astray.

I would echo domtylers advice - sell your Trek, or keep it for recreation. You will find that the top tube on a drop bar bike is shorter than the same frame size of flat bar.

Converting your drop to flats will alter the fit of the bike and could quite easily ruin the handling.

I ride a Mountain bike on the roads but i want something more suited to road riding and faster of course but like you i dont fancy riding with drops so i'm going to order a Giant FCR 1 which is pretty much a road bike with flat bars

GiantFCR1.jpg

Simon

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Thanks for all the replies guys. I had a long think about it last night and think I will sell only the Trek and keep the Scott (for crappy weather). I've had a look around and fancy the sirrus but have also seen a nice focus on wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032384&N=Focus Corrente 2008 .

I'm not really concerned about going a bit slower without the drop bars. I only ever held the top bar and sides anyway.

Would you advise selling it on ebay or locally?

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

There's also this little bargain on evans - just my size :blush: Kona phd 2006 reduced from 999 to 649!

Z0619X.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
those sloppy top bars say girls' bike to me every single time, I'm only just resolved to the semi compact frames

I ride a Raleigh Pioneer Venture (tourer) to work.
I paid £460 that's with lights and helmet bought through the cycle 2 work scheme.
I use it 4 for leisure rides, in fact it is used everyday.
I don't have any problems with drop handle bars, I find it easy to maneuver (sorry if spelt wrong).
I used to ride a hybrid to work but I didn't like the sit up and beg position very uncomfortable but that is my IMHO

Chris James

Über Member
skinny man0903 said:
I don't have any problems with drop handle bars, I find it easy to maneuver (sorry if spelt wrong).
I used to ride a hybrid to work but I didn't like the sit up and beg position very comfortable but that is my IMHO

I have only owned drop bar bikes for the last 25 years plus. On the few occasions I have ridden flat bar bikes I find them difficult to steer! I suppose to a degree it is what you are used to.

Having said that, if the OP doesn't get on with drops then there is no real reason for persevering with something you don't like.

Top Bottom