Fast(ish) road bike without pressfit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am still nervous of the dreaded pressfit bottom bracket creak and am looking for a new road bike.

External threaded BB is a big factor in any choices - budget 2k ish.
I am looking looking at the Farilight Strael and Dolan Ti ADX at the upper end of my budget, but there must other bikes to consider...suggestions please.

Intent is mostly club runs and the odd commute (rucksack).

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Can’t you get a conversion kit if your dream bike is PF?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's right, if you run into problems down the road you can convert it if wish. A new bike will be covered by a warranty so if there is a creak the dealer is obliged to fix it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have Vickster and nice bikes by all accounts, on my very long short list.

Surprise threaded BB -> Specialized Tarmac Disc Sport so they do exist if you look around
Think most of the Specialized road bikes have them. Shame they are a bit overpriced compared to other brands unless on sale. I do like them though.

Nothing wrong with a press-fit as long as it's fitted correctly and is good quality;some fitted as standard can be a bit iffy(as can some external bb's).

Nothing wrong with a press-fit as long as it's fitted correctly and is good quality;some fitted as standard can be a bit iffy(as can some external bb's).
Threaded is far easier to home mechanic, less easy to fatally bugger up the frame while doing so. I am pretty sure that the advantages of PF are not related to product longevity or rebuildability. As this is likely to be my last biggish spend on a bike, i want it to be fixable in 10 years time.

Top Bottom