Fastest bike for a grand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Agree %10,000 with vikster going fast is all about the engine, Caad bikes are super , only advice i would add to all the great advice so far is make sure you get a bike that fits and then spend some time getting fitted to your bike, you can and will go faster on a £100 used bike that fits you and you have set up right than a £10,000 bike that does not fit you.

Add tribars..and add over shoes - the cheapest way to go faster

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
New or second-hand?

If you're after a small size aero race bike (covers all your criteria) I've this on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164291919951 Currently at £700 for a bike that was around £3000 new.

s-l1600.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Carbon is no faster than steel or alloy. Its just another material that can make a frame that is as strong but lighter. Weight isn't a big issue on the flat.

Decent wheels and tyres make the biggest difference.
The biggest difference is the rider.:whistle:

DSK

Road Aero

Felt AR series
Giant Propel

Time Trial
Tons of TT bikes with budget in the classifieds

Wild Cards

Usually a few DIY electric/petrol engine kit bicycles in the classifieds too

mythste

Veteran

froze

Über Member
All bikes, no matter of price, can be slow or fast depending on the rider. Your question should have been, what is the best bike for under $1,000; followed by the kind of riding you want to do.

If you want to do long miles and be comfortable I would look at the Masi Speciale Randonneur SE, even if you like to go fast you will eventually want to go far so comfort may become an issue. This bike is also suited for the road, gravel and light to medium touring, it's a do all type of bike that doesn't excel in any one area of cycling preference, but does them all well.

Another bike like the Masi to consider would be the Salsa Journeyman with Claris components, the components are a bit down graded from the Masi but those can be upgraded when stuff breaks; this bike is made for medium to heavy touring, which means it will do well for long distances, and it will do well on gravel; it leans more toward doing touring and gravel a bit better than the Masi.

But if you don't care about distance and you just want a bike that is capable of going faster than I would look at the Giant Contend AR3, but the geometry of that bike won't be as comfortable on long rides, won't be suited for gravel or light touring.

If you want an even cheaper bike, like around $500, then look at the Schwinn Fastback, this a only a road bike, it won't do well on gravel or touring.

When I say a bike won't do well with touring, that doesn't mean you can't, but if you did you would have to make some changes to the bike, but it would never be good at touring just ok, you could always credit card tour on those types of bikes, and get special quick releases that you can attach a pannier to, but it would have be a light load type of touring.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Road Aero

Felt AR series
Giant Propel

Time Trial
Tons of TT bikes with budget in the classifieds

Wild Cards

Usually a few DIY electric/petrol engine kit bicycles in the classifieds too
Saw a wild card today in the bike shed at work , modded electric kit that didnt have a chain so they rely on on just the motor , looked like a chinese homebrew and the battery pack filled the main triangle . I doubt it was set tp the legal uk limit

Reactions: DSK
Top Bottom