Fastest bike, most economical car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Over the last few years I've seen various cycle speed records which are conducted behind a car with a large panel to remove as much air from the front of the rider as possible. Then it is reported in the cycling media.

I hate that!

What is the point of the fastest bike when the air has been substantially removed. Take another scenario....

Would you give a rats ass if a car was tested at 56mph, being driven behind a truck with a large panel removing much of the air flow from the front of the car?

Kind of a pointless exercise.

classic33

Leg End Member
To try for a speed record, the lead vehicle must be able to travel faster than the one trying for the record though.
In the case given above.

ayceejay

Guru
If the rider is going for a record then the conditions need to be the same as it was for the record holder and for later contenders. Wiggins for instance is going to try again on a more standard bike. If you go out and break a record but under unusual conditions then this is not comparing like for like. One variable is wind so if a neutral area is created then you have a level laying field all other things being equal.

If the rider is going for a record then the conditions need to be the same as it was for the record holder and for later contenders. Wiggins for instance is going to try again on a more standard bike. If you go out and break a record but under unusual conditions then this is not comparing like for like. One variable is wind so if a neutral area is created then you have a level laying field all other things being equal.

Of course, advancements in aerodynamics being used on lead vehicles is a level playing field too?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

How standard?

James Moore set the first hour record of 23.2km in Wolverhampton in 1873. Should current record attempts be on replicas of the bike he rode? The whole idea of restricting the bicycle to a particular point in time (Generally a point where those setting the rules were themselves competing) is ridiculous. In sports like cycling the fascination with the advance in performance is as much to do with the improvement in technology as that of the riders.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
If all was fair and the challenge was open to anyone, the speed record should go to the man / woman with the most aerodynamic bike with the best possible gearing and the best possible level of fitness for the rider who is able to achieve the highest speed over a set distance without the aid of wind blocking screens. Just (wo)man and machine and the elements.
Olympic runners do it, so why not cyclists.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Would you really fancy doing this,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT0eJXtrwHg&feature=player_detailpage

One thing he said that isn't in this clip was to the truck driver (who had a CCTV view of Guy)
"If I fall off then for F***s sake don't brake, let me have my own accident" :eek:

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I just find these speed record attempts in artificial conditions to be pointless.

I could increase the range of some electric car by testing it behind a wind panel and then claim it's range is not 160km, but 400km. Of course no one in real life would ever achieve this.

Top Bottom