Fastest cycling descent in Wales?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marchaugh

I noticed the other day when reading a cycling weekly article by Michael Hutchinson that his bio at the bottom includes "He was a three-time Brompton folding-bike World Champion, and once hit 73 mph riding down a hill in Wales."
73mph? That's fast. The fastest I've ever been was 56mph which was in Wales but I couldn't have gone much faster on that hill.
Does anyone know which hill in Wales meant Hutch could have hit 73mph?

(Just before people start going on about safety, I'm not going to try it myself I'm just intrigued ;))

IIRC the record for descending Snowdon by bike is 7 minutes. No idea what that equates too but it will be more scary than a road descent.

I'd love to see the footage of that ! But I don't think off-road would offer the best speed.

56 is my max too - also in Wales. He's on twitter. You can ask him where he did it.

13 rider

Guru
Wales must be a good place for descending as my top speed of 58mph was also in Wales descending Rhigos where me and another rider slipstreamed one another once in the slipstream you speeded up and had to over take the other so we just went faster and faster so in a bigger group or peleton you can imagine what speeds are possible

Chislenko

Veteran
I would imagine the descent on the Mold to Ruthin Road (A494) you could get a good speed up as it lasts for a few miles.

Obviously dependent on traffic and how much of the road you can have for cornering.

Edit. Just looked at the Strava KOM and the average speed is 44 mph so if you factor in slowing for bends etc you can imagine the top speed achieved would be pretty high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom