Fasting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I like food, does that count?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
IIRC, the main purpose of the fasting research - and of the journalist in the programme - was NOT WEIGHT LOSS.

The purpose of the TV programme was to see if fasting could reduce the journalist's internal body fat - the (nasty killer) stuff which attaches itself to the internal organs. His result after 4 weeks of fasting, whether 600 cal 2 days/week; full fast [no food 1 or 2 days/ week] or whatever, was that there had been a change for the good in his internal body fat. It was a measurable change after only 4 weeks. This was of significant interest to him, as he has a genetic history of the 'bad fat' attaching itself to his internal organs. He did not want this to be the cause of his early death and the research he had been reading was indicating that fasting could improve general health and longevity. The programme was seeking to find if there were any truth/ personal application in the research.

As a side effect of eating quite a lot less per week than normal, his weight dropped a few pounds, in part because he found that his food consumption on the non-fasting days had decreased as well. This was very much a side effect and NOT the main purpose of his research nor of the programme.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
IIRC, the main purpose of the fasting research - and of the journalist in the programme - was NOT WEIGHT LOSS.

The purpose of the TV programme was to see if fasting could reduce the journalist's internal body fat - the (nasty killer) stuff which attaches itself to the internal organs. His result after 4 weeks of fasting, whether 600 cal 2 days/week; full fast [no food 1 or 2 days/ week] or whatever, was that there had been a change for the good in his internal body fat. It was a measurable change after only 4 weeks. This was of significant interest to him, as he has a genetic history of the 'bad fat' attaching itself to his internal organs. He did not want this to be the cause of his early death and the research he had been reading was indicating that fasting could improve general health and longevity. The programme was seeking to find if there were any truth/ personal application in the research.

As a side effect of eating quite a lot less per week than normal, his weight dropped a few pounds, in part because he found that his food consumption on the non-fasting days had decreased as well. This was very much a side effect and NOT the main purpose of his research nor of the programme.
Don't let this actual fact(brilliantly written too) get in the way though!

pauldavid

Veteran
That's the chap who was in the Horizon programme, and who was on television this morning.

As far as being lazy, I used to run about 30 miles a week, but if I tried to run as much as I used to then my knee would start hurting. I used to do a fair bit of swimming, circuits and I used to do more cycling too, but circumstances have changed. If I could regularly run 15 miles a week, I would be happy. Constant calorie counting is not for me. I couldn't keep it up. Life's too short to constantly weigh out portions or read food packets. I don't see how going without food a day a week is a particularly easy option, but so what if it was?

Part of the idea of fasting, rather than dieting is that it forces your body to metabolise ketones rather than glycogen. There is such a thing as a ketogenic diet, which is similar to an Atkins diet but contains less protein (I think). The ketogenic diet was used to control epileptic fits before anti-seizure drugs were developed. A scientific paper that I downloaded asserted that cancer cells, well at least those in brain tumours, are not good at metabolising ketones, preferring glycogen instead. It recommended a restricted ketogenic diet for brain cancer sufferers. I don't have any sort of cancer, thank God, but maybe a lot of cancers don't like being short of glycogen.
I don't have cancer either, though I haven't been fasting. I have however been eating too many biscuits which I can only assume has led to my cancer free state.

Therefore, sod the diet I'm back on the biccies on medicinal grounds

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Yes, did you?

Yes many times, the reason I ask is because I have a link to it if you hadn't , that's all. Phew......moving on.

pauldavid

Veteran
I'd prefer the opinion of a Dietitian (dietician) since they've been more rigorously trained and are NHS registered so there's comeback. A nutritionist can say anything and doesn't need training.
I am!

Let me just finish this piece of cake and I'll be right with you

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I did the 5:2 thing until I had my accident in November, although I'm back on it now
There is a history of heart disease and diabetes in my family so my reasons are slightly more medical than just weight loss. Having said that the heart/diabetes conditions are probably brought on by being overweight and inactive. My family has a genetic predisposition to be fat around the middle (which I believe is the worst way to be) and while I do like my food and have always been a bit 'thick around the middle' (in primary school my friends mum called me egg on legs!), I've been active all my adult life initially with martial arts and then cycling.
When I saw the programme I couldn't really see any downside.
IF it works then it helps fight off all the nasties of old age with an added bonus of losing a bit of weight. Maybe a few people will suffer from reducing their food intake (my wife can't do it, it brings on migranes) but in the main I see no harm at all from reducing my eating for a couple of days a week.

Top Bottom