Fasting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started this at the end of November. I've lost 1/2 a stone. It's working out at 1/4 stone per month which having flicked through a few posts at the beginning of this thread, ties in with
Regarding weight loss there are 3500 Calories in a a pound of fat. Fasting once a week would lose me less than a pound a week, assuming I did not make up for it the rest of the week. Overall, I guess it cuts down my weekly Calorie intake by 10% because Tuesday is not a drinking day for me. If you are doing the 5:2 diet that should lose you about a pound a week.
Some days it's hard(ish) and other days I actually look forward to a fast day. I'll be keeping it up for the rest of this year.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I read about a guy that tried drinking 2 pints of milk a day..........as well as his normal food intake and it ended up killing him.

He was 142 when he died :smile:

PK99

Legendary Member
An article on the fasting diet. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is doing it.

I wonder myself if I will keep it up. I intend to. That is largely why am I only doing one day a week and not eating anything on that day. If you allow yourself 600 Calories, that could easily climb up. Fasting completely makes the day special.

Regarding weight loss there are 3500 Calories in a a pound of fat. Fasting once a week would lose me less than a pound a week, assuming I did not make up for it the rest of the week. Overall, I guess it cuts down my weekly Calorie intake by 10% because Tuesday is not a drinking day for me. If you are doing the 5:2 diet that should lose you about a pound a week.

There's something a bit religious about fasting. Prophets were always going on fasts in the Old Testament.

The numbers are pretty simple:
1 lb ~ 3500
Normal diet 2500 per day
Diet day 600
Weekly deficit: 5000 - 1200 = 3800

IE about 1lb

It's not rocket science. The weight loss side of 5:2 works the same as any other diet: calorie deficit.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I started this at the end of November. I've lost 1/2 a stone. It's working out at 1/4 stone per month which having flicked through a few posts at the beginning of this thread, ties in with

Some days it's hard(ish) and other days I actually look forward to a fast day. I'll be keeping it up for the rest of this year.

I find it easier if I do not eat anything in the morning. Most of the day I forget I am hungry. I ate nothing yesterday, and I also did circuits at lunch time and a Japanese evening class. I did not feel more lacking in energy than I usually do. I definitely go to bed looking forward to breakfast though.

PK99

Legendary Member
I find it easier if I do not eat anything in the morning. Most of the day I forget I am hungry. I ate nothing yesterday, and I also did circuits at lunch time and a Japanese evening class. I did not feel more lacking in energy than I usually do. I definitely go to bed looking forward to breakfast though.

Most people seem to find exercise ON a diet day is not a problem as muscles and liver are well stoked from normal eating the day before.

Exercise the day following a diet day is more difficult as stocks are low.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I now fast from 8pm to 12 noon then I eat lowiler carb ( Mediterranean diet) with good fats and no sugar. I cycle to work in the morning and I feel good for not eating beforehand. I find this now works for me and I've stopped looking for a miracle diet.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I now fast from 8pm to 12 noon then I eat lowiler carb ( Mediterranean diet) with good fats and no sugar. I cycle to work in the morning and I feel good for not eating beforehand. I find this now works for me and I've stopped looking for a miracle diet.

Are you doing that two days a week or everyday?

By "good" fats, do you mean olive oil and butter, in small quantities?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Are you doing that two days a week or everyday?

By "good" fats, do you mean olive oil and butter, in small quantities?

I do it at least five days a week sometimes seven but it is just like skipping breakfast and finishing eating a bit earlier than normal which gives you the 16 hour fast.

Yes the good fats would be mainly olive oil and some coconut oil. It is easier than the 5:2 for me.

This is all a bit complicated for me.
I'm doing the following:
Eating breakfast, dinner and tea every day - but nothing else afterwards.
That gives me 12-14 hours without eating out of every 24.
Monday to Friday I don't have carbs for dinner, but will for breakfast and tea. That stops the afternoon slump at the desk or when working from home.
Monday to Friday I try not to eat bread.
Eat healthy the vast majority of the time but not obsessive.
No counting calories. No weighing myself.
It's working great so far. Only been going two weeks but did it last year as well.
My mam tells me it's like doing a mini fast every night.
And once I started on supper that was it. Now I don't miss it and my energy levels are so much better.

toontra

Veteran
Most people seem to find exercise ON a diet day is not a problem as muscles and liver are well stoked from normal eating the day before.

My 2 diet days are the days I do lengthy gym workouts in the morning. As you say, there is never an energy problem - in fact it takes my mind off food and I find it easy not to eat anything until the 600 c's in the evening.

When I try fasting on non-exercise days I find it harder.

BTW I've been doing the 5:2 for over 3 years now and it's just part of my routine and not really an issue. As someone else said, I almost look forward to fast days. My fast days are Mondays & Wednesdays, although I sometimes miss them when work or holidays intervene. No big deal - I just pick up whenever possible.

Last edited:
My fasting day (Wednesday) starts by weighing myself. I then have breakfast (Muesli and coffee without sugar). Take the dogs for a couple of miles walk or a have a ten-mile ride (depends on circumstances) Then go to the Sauna, where I use both the dry and steam rooms for up to four hours (normally it would be no more than two hours). I eat nothing and only have two 500mle bottles of a sports drink. I have found it hard not to snack, especially on an evening, but have persevered up until now. I weigh myself before breakfast on Thursday. I can lose up to four pounds on the fasting day but put two - three pounds back on in the week. Energy levels after the Sauna are low but return to normal the next day. I am thinking of starting the fasting day from after the evening meal on Tuesday to breakfast on Thursday but think it may be too much. In the past, I did try two fasting days a week but found it disturbed the family routine too much (SWMBO does not believe in fasting)

Top Bottom