fat bike wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
don't own a fat bike or anything but it has been annoying me for a while now why do fat bike wheels have holes in them?
the bigger holes not the ones for the nipples or valve!
Cheers Ed

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Weight is the main reason. Big solid wheels are heavy. Gorilla Tape, Surly Rim Strips, or 2”1/5 inch nylon ribbon is used to cover the holes. The ribbon is available at most fabric stores and comes in a variety of colors.

You can get solid wheels but most people will drill them.
http://fat-bike.com/2011/11/tech-drilling-fat-rims/

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
does it really save that much weight considering you aren't riding a carbon super duper race bike at professional level
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
not at all that is a weight saving many would like
why is it not done on road wheels then?
Cheers Ed

Mr Haematocrit

I understand that the width of road wheels make it non viable, holes drilled would be so small that once you count the weight of the tape the savings to be made are minimal at best and because it weakens the rim to some degree its simply not done.
If you want a light rim for a road bike buy carbon.

Mr Haematocrit

No idea to be honest but I know they take a lot of abuse, so its probably not wise to drill MTB wheels for strength reasons and of course you can get carbon MTB wheels if weight matters.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
does it really save that much weight considering you aren't riding a carbon super duper race bike at professional level
Cheers Ed

Yes, it does sound like a fairly pointless exercise, but then they do look like pointless bikes.

It hardly saves any weight at all, but they do look great :becool:

These are my 2
9580817325_90686b53c1_b.jpg

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
It hardly saves any weight at all, but they do look great :becool:

These are my 2
9580817325_90686b53c1_b.jpg
Agreed it does make them look great I heard the weight saving can be like 400 or 450 g for both wheels together so it's okay
I saw somebody on the tinternet had some spongebob tape on his fat bike and it looked awesome
Cheers Ed

Last edited:
If you're looking to save weight on Fat Bike wheels you just don't understand Fat biking.

The frames are heavier then any other hardtail bike out there to be strong enough for the wheels, hence my now very faded sticker
6238762200_c9aab0f811_z.jpg

Fat biking is more about chilling out while you ride and not racing around.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Have never been one for speed my self but never had the money to afford a fat bike either!
Cheers Ed

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I am trying to understand. So you drill holes in the rims to look cool not to save weight? And the the frames have to be heavier to cope with them. And then you can only ride them on the beach? So if it's all about chilling couldn't you just rode a regular bike slower? But I guess it's a fashion thing.

Top Bottom