Fat guy looking to get back on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich1390

Hi people I know you must here this a million and one times but u am a 6 foot tall male who weighs 21 stone (133kg) and was wondering is it possible to get a bike and to sit on it without the tyres looking flat I have been to a few shops and they say they dont know ... and I am not that knowledgable on bikes as i have not been on one since my teens...thanks in advance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Rich and welcome. You might like to have read through this recent thread on advice for the heavier rider and then post again for any further info.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bike-advice-for-large-rider.251614/

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yes. Keep looking, until you find a bike shop that will try and fit you to a bicycle. You may need wider tires, mainly for efficient cycling and less flats and the like, but I assure you, you can fit many many bicycles out there. You just have to find the right place to shop. I would suggest a steel bicycle. I am taller and heavier than you, and I ride most types of bicycles without any issues. You have to look at the bicycling opportunities near you, and have a realistic idea of what sort of cycling you want to do. Look into some forums and see what they say. In the States, forums will refer to male cyclists over 200 pounds as "Clydesdales", and women as "Athenas".

Welcome to the forum and congrats. on deciding to get on a bike and doing something to benefit your health.

This forum has loads of stuff about everything (cycling-related) and with a bit of googling, you'll find something to help and motivate you.

I just found this from 2009 but it's still relevant today: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/overweight-beginner-looking-to-start-cycling-help-needed.28262/

If you ask specific questions, you'll get very knowledgeable replies and tips.

Good luck!

Slick

Guru
There will be a number of bikes that advertise a lower load class than the numbers that you mention. That said, your not the only big guy on a bike and whilst you will need to be mindful of that it won't be impossible to find yourself a sturdy mountain bike that will serve you well as long as your not bumping it up and down curbs and the like. Pay attention to size, get a big frame and pay extra for the one with good wheels, probably high spoke count but not necessarily. Then just enjoy. :thumbsup:

tom73

Guru
:welcome: you've come to right place for advice you will find on the whole it's friendly bunch.
Hope the links help if not ask away someone will have some help for you.

Waterwheel

Regular
The best bicycles for larger people are the more simple bikes like the old fashioned 3 speed roadsters as they are very strong so can carry the extra weight. They are still around but are hard to find. I used to ride them for a few year as I used to carry a lot of luggage about. Despite carrying heavy luggage the 3 speed roadster rarely suffered a broken spoke or any damage. On a 3 speed roadster replacing broken spokes is a doddle because there is no big set of cogs in the way. So your just thread a new spoke through the back wheel and then tighten it up with a spoke key. Replacement spokes cost about one pound each. I would avoid most other bikes apart from the old fashioned shopper bikes with 20 inch wheels as more modern fancy bikes are just not strong enough for very heavy riders.

ChrisPAmbulance

Last September, I weighed 19st 2lb abd was riding an off the shelf steel framed Ridgeback Voyage with absolutely no problems at all. I am now 15st 3lb and am still riding the same bike with absolutely no issues at all - Oh, I wrecked a rear wheel, but that has more to do with riding over an un-recessed railway line in the Barrow dock area :-)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
What area are you from mate ? Someone maybe able to recommend a bike shop that isnt staffed by twats . Get a bike and have a fun life :okay:

Crankarm

Guru
Most bike manufacturers give upper weight limits of around 115kg for their bikes. However you could try and find a second hand Pashley Royal Mail bike or reconditioned ones sold by Elephant bikes for about £250-300. They're certainly strong enough for your weight. Just Google them.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You'll be fine.
My fiance bought a £170 decathlon origin bike when she was 18st a couple years ago. That bike has a single oversized down tube and 32 spoked single wall rims. No probs with it at all.
I'd say if you stick to a traditional diamond frame running 36 spoked double wall rims (fairly standard for years) you'll have no issues.
You'll need to crank the tyre pressures up and I'd suggest wider tyres (1.5" or more) simply for comfort and less likely to suffer snake bite punctures (caused by the tyre being squished under the rim).
I wouldn't bother with suspension for now unless you plan on doing some serious offroading.
A hybrid or mountain bike is your best bet but you'll struggle to find good ones that don't have suspension. Why they do this is beyond me.

Top Bottom