fat loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Ok i was a bit of a porker.

130Kg (20.5 stone approx) and 6ft 2 in . I have lost 18Kg taking me to 112kg ( 17.5 stone approx)
now i know a good chunk of this has ben fat as my previously gargantuan gut has reduced significantly 42 inch waist being tight to 38 being a tad baggy.

all down to swimming 50 lengths on a wednesday ,commuting to work by bike daily 7 miles round trip :rolleyes: and not snacking in the day and evening , oh and reducing beer intake from 6 pints a night every night to 3 or 4 pints of cider at a weekend ( cornish holiday last year and i rediscovered a taste for cider)

what i have noticed is my arm muscles ( shoulders as well according to SWMBO) have toned up significantly and my leg muscles, while always well defined from walking upwards of 3 miles daily, have grown huge.

now i am aware that muscle apparently weighs heavier than fat , so can anybody give me a vague idea of how much fat i have lost. i assue its more than the weight i have lost but the muscle growth has made up for that.

not sure on this fitness thing as never been a health nut but its becoming more addictive the slimmer i get. aim this year is to get down to 95Kg and into a pair of 36 inch trousers, something i have not done since i married nearly 11 years ago.

blood pressure is down, i am calmer, and my lung function is of the scale according to the chest clinic. ( recurrent infections last year down to , i think, being a fat b'stard)

joolsybools

Hiya, I've no idea about how much fat you might have lost but well done and keep up the good work!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've no idea either, but well done. From what you posted, it's obvious that it's mostly fat you've been losing so I wouldn't worry about the exact numbers.

You've made the important distinction between weight loss and fat loss. It is easy to lose 6 or 7 pounds in a day by doing a lot of exercise and allowing yourself to become dehydrated. I've inadvertently done it several times. Within a couple of days, most of that weight is back on as I rehydrate. The half pound or so of fat loss remains.

Like you, I like to check my waist measurement as an indicator of body fat level. I'm not sure that I'll ever get my 32 inch waist back, but I'd certainly like to achieve 34 inches. (I'm 10 inches bigger than that at the moment! :blush:)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ditto all the well dones, thats a great achievment.

You can get electronic scales that measure your percentage of fat as well as weight. Not sure how accurate they are,theres a contact point for each foot that measures resistance through your body or something clever to calculate the fat content. I think 20 % is ok and 15% is a fit lean person.

Despite getting down to a healthy weight according to the scales I am still over 20 % so trying to shed a bit more lard at the moment.

515mm

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say at least 21kg of fat has come off and at least 3kg of muscle has gone on. You're a strapping big boy so a gain of 3kg of muscle in a year is not beyond you. I'm of the opinion it's quite a bit more than this but it's so hard to say without a before and after measurement.

Are you near a uni with a sports or phisiology dept? You can get your bodyfat measured there if you ask nicely.

As a guide, I'm a tiddler at 5'8"(just!) I lost 25kg of fat and gained 6kg of muscle, which took a little over a year. The final 10kg of fat is proving troublesome.................

Oh, and the last time I had a lung function test the techie had to recalibrate the machine and do it again as I was off the end of the chart. A resting heartrate of 40bpm really freaks out the medics too!

Ain't cycling great?!

Top Bottom