Fat makes you fat? Or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
You might think you wanted to talk about nutrition, but you didn't mention it. Secondly, diesel in a petrol car stops it dead. How useful is that anaolgy? Thirdly, you made a frankly ridiculous claim for which you offer no substantiation: that "consensus medical opinion" spent "five decades.....telling us to avoid natural foods". How about you back up that bit first?

Oh, and perhaps you could point to the person who has suggested that fat isn't a useful and essential part of diet?

Sure.

We were told to avoid butter, and eat margarine, which at the time, was extremely high in transfats, which have now been proven to be extremely toxic.

Next???

MikeG

Guru
Sure.

We were told to avoid butter, and eat margarine, which at the time, was extremely high in transfats, which have now been proven to be extremely toxic.

Next???

Next you could substantiate the "consensus medical opinion" spent "five decades.....telling us to avoid natural foods" claim.

"Extremely toxic". Hmmm. It's starting to look like a rant, rather than a discussion. How about you quote some science which uses the words "extremely toxic"?

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Next you could substantiate the "consensus medical opinion" spent "five decades.....telling us to avoid natural foods" claim.

"Extremely toxic". Hmmm. It's starting to look like a rant, rather than a discussion. How about you quote some science which uses the words "extremely toxic"?

Sure, if you've been living in a cave (or on another planet ) for the last 5 decades, you may have missed the war on saturated fats, and encouragement to eat 'low fat' diets. This has led to a boom in the processed food industry, producing processed low fat foods. You can argue semantics, or accuse me of rants, but I'd prefer you just eat as much transfats as you wish to , or produce some facts or useful information of your own! ;-)

MikeG

Guru
Sure, if you've been living in a cave (or on another planet ) for the last 5 decades, you may have missed the war on saturated fats, and encouragement to eat 'low fat' diets. This has led to a boom in the processed food industry, producing processed low fat foods. You can argue semantics, or accuse me of rants, but I'd prefer you just eat as much transfats as you wish to , or produce some facts or useful information of your own! ;-)

It's your claim. The onus is on you to back it up, not on me to disprove it. This isn't a semantic argument. You made a straightforward claim that "consensus medical opinion" spent "five decades.....telling us to avoid natural foods". Have you got anything at all to back this up? Personal abuse doesn't constitute substantiation, BTW.

Oh, and to show you how misplaced you personally directed rant is, I've never eaten margarine, and have always eaten butter. However, you were talking about "Natural foods", which includes carrots and celery and lettuce and lamb chops and blackberry and apple crumble and so on........and when you can find some science backing up your nonsense that this has all been taboo for the last 50 years, I'll take the rest of your posts more seriously.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
It's your claim. The onus is on you to back it up, not on me to disprove it. This isn't a semantic argument. You made a straightforward claim that "consensus medical opinion" spent "five decades.....telling us to avoid natural foods". Have you got anything at all to back this up? Personal abuse doesn't constitute substantiation, BTW.

I'll take that to meant that you don't have any useful facts to add to the discussion. I'm trying to convey something useful here. I've backed up my assertion, you've not backed up anything, and you're not listening. I therefore will not waste my time repeating myself since your ears are clearly closed.

MikeG

Guru
I'll take that to meant that you don't have any useful facts to add to the discussion. I'm trying to convey something useful here. I've backed up my assertion, you've not backed up anything, and you're not listening. I therefore will not waste my time repeating myself since your ears are clearly closed.

You have not backed up your assertion. You haven't provided a single link or quote.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I think this topic has been discussed many times on here. In fact it's now old news that carbs and sugar are the real enemy and good fats are your friend. The trouble is the enemy is so addictive. The best combination is a high fat, low carb, intermittent fasting lifestyle but it is so hard to stick to.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It's not sugar or fat that are bad for us , no matter what the current hype is doing, It's the combination of fat and sugar rammed into so many food nowadays that is the major problem.

Eat food , mostly plants , not to much.

400bhp

Guru
I find the energy equation very facile. Try putting diesel into your petrol car, or vice versa, it's all energy propellants after all!

As a society we tend to focus far too much on the energy equation, ignoring the ability of our body to assimilate or utilise the energy, and, more importantly, ignoring the long term effects of micro nutrients on health (i.e. to continue the car analogy, try continuing to fuel your car, when the spark plugs are fouled due to poor quality fuel, the alternator has stopped working, and it's got no oil or water!

ETA You can be the equation with common sense, otherwise, try fuelling yourself with cheap margarine, according to said equation, you'll save a fortune, except you'll die before it amounts to much.
I think you’re right with the energy equation because I think how we measure “energy” (calories) is flawed. I don’t have the answer but anecdotally (from friends and acquaintances) calories in and calories out can have different outcomes for different people. Plus, as you say, weight is only one facet of health.

PK99

Legendary Member
Margarine was designed as an industrial lubricant,

You do know that is bollo*ks don't you?

Margarine was invented in France by Hippolyte Mège-Mouriès in 1869, during the Franco-Prussian wars. He invented it in response to a competitive challenge from the French government under Napoleon III, who was looking for a cheap and stable substitute for butter, and offered a big prize to anyone who could pull it off.

The principal raw material in the original formulation of margarine was beef fat.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I seem to recall Stork SB was marketed (remember the Lesley Crowther ads) as an alternative to butter.

Can't remember though, if it was marketed as a healthy alternative, or just a convenient one

Top Bottom