Fatal RTA, Hull Area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This fatal RTA took place near Patrington on the 26th June. The victim, Richard Goodwin was out on a training ride for an upcoming charity event. The driver of the car was an off duty paramedic. I mention this accident as I have ridden this stretch of road hundreds of times without any incidents. What with my accident last September with a drunk and this one so close to home. It brings it home how vunerable we are. R.I.P

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...rZgy95qjLwkvIBinp2xvOaY2pWYDd1CkifHx89LE_fQqg

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
They should be called RTD's, because they always occur as a result of the deliberate actions of someone.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cars do not cause accidents...
Generally I would agree, but the experiencee of my old neighbour who had a prang when the electronic controlled throttle on his Volvo 960 stuck wide open would suggest that occasionally cars can indeed take matters into their own hands.

Just this week it was in the news that a Tesla Model L Plaid in America caught fire and then started to drive away uphil on its own...so while drivers are usually the obvious source of blame it does occasionally happen that cars have a go themselves.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Generally I would agree, but the experiencee of my old neighbour who had a prang when the electronic controlled throttle on his Volvo 960 stuck wide open would suggest that occasionally cars can indeed take matters into their own hands.

Just this week it was in the news that a Tesla Model L Plaid in America caught fire and then started to drive away uphil on its own...so while drivers are usually the obvious source of blame it does occasionally happen that cars have a go themselves.
Oh yes, quite agree. Failed brakes, jammed accelerator, other unexpected failures but overall it's lack of attention for any number of reasons. Phone, CD player, speed, drink, drugs and so on

si_c

Guru
Oh yes, quite agree. Failed brakes, jammed accelerator, other unexpected failures but overall it's lack of attention for any number of reasons. Phone, CD player, speed, drink, drugs and so on

I've also been in a car with drivers who just don't read the road ahead, they see but they don't observe just watching the tarmac a few feet ahead of the bonnet of their car.

A few years ago I was nearly in an RTA when a car a few hundred meters ahead on a dual carriageway hit the central reservation. The driver of the car I was in didn't observe it happen even though you could see the car leaving the road and it was easy to anticipate an accident but they were then surprised when everyone ahead slammed on the brakes.

No chance of the driver being prosecuted. Paramedic. Key worker. Angel.
Immune from criticism. His defence will be overwork, stress, caring for the NHS, worried about infection rates and so on.
No jury is going to find him guilty of killing a mere cyclist.

Oh yes, quite agree. Failed brakes, jammed accelerator, other unexpected failures

Poor maintanence is not really accidental, but things happen - I had my brake pedal box drop off*, handbrake worked fine as would turning ignition off.

* not a service item, poor design of RHD drive version of VX Astra needed nyloc nuts not plain...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No chance of the driver being prosecuted. Paramedic. Key worker. Angel.
Immune from criticism. His defence will be overwork, stress, caring for the NHS, worried about infection rates and so on.
No jury is going to find him guilty of killing a mere cyclist.

Nonsense.

The majority of death by prosecutions I've seen are of otherwise law abiding citizens.

Neither does there appear to be any reluctance by juries to convict.

Not every fatal collision is prosecuted, but if this driver was over the limit it makes it almost inevitable he will be.

Drago

Legendary Member
Paley speaks wisely, as always.

In my experience coppers, trumpton, healthcare workers wtc are liable to be more likely to be prosecited on the basis of the standard of good behaviour and integrity required by being a public servant, even when off duty. The old whittling of "I didn't know, didn't realise, didn't understand, wasn't sure.." cuts no slack for a public servant.

When it gets to court theyre then liable to be clobbered all the harder because public servants are sposed to set an example.

And ofpn top of all that theyre then far more likely to lose their job than a public sector miscreant.

The idea of the driver getting off because of his job is laughable - he's not an MP, BBC DJ or Bill Cosby you know.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
This fatal RTA took place near Patrington on the 26th June. The victim, Richard Goodwin was out on a training ride for an upcoming charity event. The driver of the car was an off duty paramedic. I mention this accident as I have ridden this stretch of road hundreds of times without any incidents. What with my accident last September with a drunk and this one so close to home. It brings it home how vunerable we are. R.I.P

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...rZgy95qjLwkvIBinp2xvOaY2pWYDd1CkifHx89LE_fQqg

Interesting as doesn't mention the paramedic but in the article, so I'm guessing your a bit in the know?

Also live localish so yes I've read online the same as you have suggested, and other details that probably not to be published.
If he is a paramedic he should have reported himself to his registration body / employer and should be suspended with the seriousness of what had happened

Top Bottom