Fatbirds.co.uk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
If I'm posting this in the wrong place, mods, please move it :smile:

Fatbirds, are they doing so well that will not reply emails?

A wile ago I wanted to buy some forks from them but I needed some info first so I wrote to them and never got a reply. I thought it was odd but I found the information I was after somewhere in the net so I bought the item. I got an email to confirm the order but nothing to tell me when it would be delivered or dispatch, etc. No big deal as not all companies do that, although it's nice to know when it's coming so one can plan ahead.

I then needed some other information so I wrote to them, again, no reply. Now, I want to purchase something else but cannot make up my mind between two items, so I wrote to them and you guess it, no reply.

Before somebody says phone them up, I will say that I opted for emails as a personal choice. Sometimes I call a company but I do prefer to have the answers in black and white.

I've decided that I will give my business to another company that is not doing so well......

Whatever the reasons are for not replying I think it is pretty poor customer service.

Anybody ever got an email reply from Fatbirds? Or maybe they don't have access to emails :rolleyes:

screenman

Legendary Member
I own a business and I hate email or worse text inquiries, 9 out of 10 they are wasting my time which means it is better spent elsewhere. So for that one person that is genuine, sorry I missed you but I was busy.

Gary E

Veteran
I have to agree with Manonabike. It's quite rare that I contact a shop before buying but if I need something clarifying I expect an answer. Usually it's just to check a size or to see if something is compatible. If I get a reply it usually results in an instant order, if I don't get a reply I take it as an indication of their likely customer service should I get a problem after the purchase.

Plenty of online shops out there, shop around until someone takes the time to answer your questions.

Gary E

Veteran
I should have added that I do the majority of my online shopping outside of office hours (when I'm not at work myself) so using the telephone is usually not an option anyway.

adamhearn

Veteran
Sadly emails are too easy to overlook/ignore so if you really want something it's either go to or phone up. Only used them once and their service was great.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
I own a business and I hate email or worse text inquiries, 9 out of 10 they are wasting my time which means it is better spent elsewhere. So for that one person that is genuine, sorry I missed you but I was busy.

Please tell me the name of your business so that I can avoid it in case I ever need something in your line of business ^_^

Sadly emails are too easy to overlook/ignore so if you really want something it's either go to or phone up. Only used them once and their service was great.

Rubbish, lots of companies I do business with are happy to help with any questions. Some help saves them time by pointing customers to the right place with a link to pictures, videos, etc.

There are of course those people with a clear bad attitude towards their customers. They are reluctant to answers or help anybody if there isn't an order at the end.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have emailed Wiggle a few other online shops now, they always reply, most times i end up buying from them.
Edit.
If i emailed a company and they did not reply they would not get my money.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
The problem with emails is that they can be 'put on the to do pile'. Phone calls, on the other hand, can not!

No doubt the phone has its place but also emails. In some cases an email it's the most effective way to communicate in business. Including a picture for somebody to check and advise accordingly is a lot easier than trying to do it over the phone. Furthermore, it gives you an assurance that both parts are on the same page, something that you cannot always guaranteed over the phone.

adamhearn

Veteran
Perhaps you just need to take your own advice and simply move on to a company that serves your need. Ranting and justifying your requirement as if it's the only one sorta make me think if I had a business I probably wouldn't want you as a customer :smile:

Fatbirds is one of the friendliest, most helpful shops out there. Don't write them off simply because someone didn't reply to an email. Perhaps they didn't receive it, or their email app is down.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I personally prefer not to phone. Having worked in IT for years and had dealings with IT helpdesks I've seen how easy it is for a phone call to be mis-interpreted.

Also a plus to the business of email is that you get to deal with it when you have time. If you're half way through stripping down someone's rear hub, I reckon you can probably do with a telephone call.

At the end of the day though, it is just a case of finding a company that does business in a way that suits you. What you find great service, another customer may find awful.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Many small retailers have joined the online scene without full consideration for what it involves. Not only do you have to maintain a great online shopfront with up-to-date stock and price information, you need to spend a lot of resource in answering pre-order queries as well as post-order problems.

I spoke to two locally renowned bike shops about thair absence from the net and they both said they explored it but found it more hassle than it's worth.

Top Bottom