Fatbirds.co.uk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Perhaps you just need to take your own advice and simply move on to a company that serves your need. Ranting and justifying your requirement as if it's the only one sorta make me think if I had a business I probably wouldn't want you as a customer :smile:

It might not surprise you that a good email response is not just a requirement of a few but of a vast number of people. Refusing to keep up with modern business practices does not help any business.

There's an email address and a contact form on the website.

To invite contact and not respond is poor.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/Contact-us.aspx

Yep, that is the one I used.

Many small retailers have joined the online scene without full consideration for what it involves. Not only do you have to maintain a great online shopfront with up-to-date stock and price information, you need to spend a lot of resource in answering pre-order queries as well as post-order problems.

I spoke to two locally renowned bike shops about thair absence from the net and they both said they explored it but found it more hassle than it's worth.

I suppose if a business has a website then it's obvious to have an email service. If you don't have a website then I'm sure customers would find it harder to find the email address, assuming there is one. Courses for horses, I would not email my pharmacy to ask something but I would phone or more likely visit the pharmacy.
I'd think to have a successful business with a presence in the net, cycling for instance, the competence is such that I can completely understand if shops prefer to concentrate in the local community.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
When I bought my carbon frame from them they were very helpful, and answered emails promptly.
Perhaps they're shut for a few days?

Mmmm, I suppose we live in a world where everything has to be instant if not sooner, I know Richard who used to own Fatbirds but haven't been in touch for a few years now. They are a nice bunch and I expect there is a good reason for them not replying. We have had two bikes from them in the past and each sale was very good, no complaints at all. Patience is becoming a lost virtue these days.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Mmmm, I suppose we live in a world where everything has to be instant if not sooner, I know Richard who used to own Fatbirds but haven't been in touch for a few years now. They are a nice bunch and I expect there is a good reason for them not replying. We have had two bikes from them in the past and each sale was very good, no complaints at all. Patience is becoming a lost virtue these days.

Mmmm my patient is about I guess 4 months now :laugh:. As I said, I bought an item from them without any issues, maybe they just don't like emails asking things without a credit card number at the end :whistle:

I think I have only once before had an email ignored from a cycling company, that was from Tokyo. it was just a simple query about size.... I bought from the next company that gave the information that I needed to order the correct size.

Earlier on I quoted a post of somebody that was praising Brooks for answering emails promptly, I don't expect all companies to be like that but at least reply within days rather than weeks or not at all. Some people don't have the time to wait so they go to a competitor,

Indeed, patience is a great virtue and so is good customer service.

screenman

Legendary Member
manonabike, Dentex, I am a PDR training company selling basically to people wanting to start up in business. I have found through many years of this business is that replying to every email is a complete waste of time, to many dreamers. Where as the person who picks up the phone is far more likely to go though with things. I did sit down and reply to every single email that I received for over 2 years before I came to this conclusion, others in my business have found the same.

Many of my customers for the other side of the business go back 25 years some small and some multinational, so I would say my level of service is quite good. I just have choice.

anyuser

Über Member
My experience is different. Fatbirds have responded to my emails and queries and kept me up to date on the availability of a frame I was after. I now have the frame and fork from them and have been happy with the whole experience.

screenman

Legendary Member
I take it the OP has checked his spam, there might be a very good reason behind them not replying, you have not asked them why but preferred to come on here and bad mouth them. Extremely poor show I would say, my webdesigners emails often fail to arrive, even the one's with his invoice attached.

Give them a call and give them a chance, then come back and tell us the honest results.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
My experience is different. Fatbirds have responded to my emails and queries and kept me up to date on the availability of a frame I was after. I now have the frame and fork from them and have been happy with the whole experience.

Well, that's interesting to know. Can I ask if your email was along the lines...... "I'd like to purchase the frame xyz but it doesn't appear to be in stock at the moment"?

I take it the OP has checked his spam, there might be a very good reason behind them not replying, you have not asked them why but preferred to come on here and bad mouth them. Extremely poor show I would say, my webdesigners emails often fail to arrive, even the one's with his invoice attached.

Give them a call and give them a chance, then come back and tell us the honest results.

Yes, I checked my spam. If they didn't reply a simple question in many months I'm curious to find out if that is common practice or I'm an isolated case. If you think you are so clever, what do you think they would say if I pick up the phone and ask them why they don't answer my email? "Errr, mmmm what email are you referring to? When did you say you sent it?... mmmm, sorry, I can't find anything like that."

I do praise businesses that provide a good service / experience for me and also criticise the ones that don't. Nothing wrong with that.

I also run a business and get emails on a daily basis. Of course I can identify those emails that are simply a waste of time but I still make the effort to respond, even if it's a short answer. I think it's poor customer service ignoring them.

If you know there is a problem with some emails not arriving then something not quite right with your website email configuration settings. Show a little competence and get it sorted :laugh:

It's been too long to phone them now and ask about an email that I never got a reply to. I suppose I could write to them again and phone them if I don't get a reply within a week. Having said that, I'd rather give the business to somebody that is doing a good job already. If everybody did the same then all those companies dragging their feet would soon get their act together or go out of business.

screenman

Legendary Member
Stop there, who said I was clever not me that is for sure. Just because I have learned where to direct my time and what sort of customers are likely to bring me the best return on that time does not make me clever.

I take it you have not phoned them yet.^_^

anyuser

Über Member
Well, that's interesting to know. Can I ask if your email was along the lines...... "I'd like to purchase the frame xyz but it doesn't appear to be in stock at the moment"?

The text of my email was ( along with the frame name in the Title):

Could you please tell me when this is expected to be available in the UK?
thank you and rgds

sent on 21st Oct, reply received 22 Oct. Frame was on approx 8 weeks delivery, got it early December.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There's an email address and a contact form on the website.

To invite contact and not respond is poor.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/Contact-us.aspx
All you people justifying the lack of reply on the grounds that emailers are usually time-wasters - THIS ^ is the point. If you are not going to reply to emails, don't put an email contact form on your website. Simples.

Most businesses I know allocate a time (usually the beginning of the working day) to answer email questions. So you will get a reply...it might just arrive the next day. IME it has to be done that way to avoid constant interruptions.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
The text of my email was ( along with the frame name in the Title):

Could you please tell me when this is expected to be available in the UK?
thank you and rgds

sent on 21st Oct, reply received 22 Oct. Frame was on approx 8 weeks delivery, got it early December.
Thanks for that.

My email was with the fork model and name in the title and the question was whether the fork took 25 or 28cc tyres.

I guess that it's possible that they didn't see an intention to buy. Who knows? :smile:

Top Bottom