Fate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
As about as sane as believing in religion - more bollocks, but better PR.

Funny how allegations about fate are always made with hindsight ie after the fact. Show me a person who is sitting in an impossible situation thinking 'not to worry, fate will make something come along and that will sort me out' and I will show you an idiot!

domtyler

Über Member
Kirstie said:
Funny how allegations about fate are always made with hindsight ie after the fact. Show me a person who is sitting in an impossible situation thinking 'not to worry, fate will make something come along and that will sort me out' and I will show you an idiot!

Bonj, Kirstie wants you. :evil:

Andy

Kirstie said:

Mmmmm.., not so sure I agree with you there Kirstie. After the year that I have had there are a few situations where I have sat in the depths of despair and have done what you desribe above. I haven't exactly said "not to worry", cause I was worrying, but what I did say (and if this makes me sound like an idiot, then okay, hands up folks, I'm an idiot!) was that what is happening right now is happening for a reason, don't know what the reason might be (although a couple of times I could guess what it may be), but a few of the things that happened to me this year to completely f**k me up have resulted in my life now being better in certain ways. Sounds mad, and a lot of what I have been through I wouldn't want anyone to go through, but a lot of good has come out of it.

Okay, where's the strait jacket now? :evil::biggrin:;)

You don't sound like you believe in fate either....I agree that things happen for a reason (normally so that you learn something), but suggesting that certain things are 'fated' to happen overlooks two simple points. First, that ones actions, however small, have effects; and second, that somebody or something, somewhere, is responsible for whatever it is that has happened

Recourse to fatalism leads to diminished or skewed understandings of cause, effect, consequence and responsibility - and hence 1. workable solutions to whatever problem one is dealing with and 2. valuable learning experiences.

It's also a convenient gloss over some of the less palatable aspects of life.

[puts on tin hat, crouches down behind sofa]

Don't believe in fate. Do believe in path-dependent outcomes.

It wasn't Fate that led me to St Petersburg, where I met and married my missus. However, it was always more likely that I marry a Russian girl than say a Lebanese girl, as I've spent 10 years in Russian area studies.

Andy

Kirstie said:
You don't sound like you believe in fate either....I agree that things happen for a reason (normally so that you learn something), but suggesting that certain things are 'fated' to happen overlooks two simple points. First, that ones actions, however small, have effects; and second, that somebody or something, somewhere, is responsible for whatever it is that has happened

Recourse to fatalism leads to diminished or skewed understandings of cause, effect, consequence and responsibility - and hence 1. workable solutions to whatever problem one is dealing with and 2. valuable learning experiences.

It's also a convenient gloss over some of the less palatable aspects of life.

[puts on tin hat, crouches down behind sofa]

:evil: Crikey, I think I'll retract what I previously said Kirstie, read, and then re-read your reply a few times before I get back to you. What I originally said seemed to make sense to me, but I get the horrible feeling that maybe I am mad and that you can now show me off as an idiot. :biggrin: It would seem I maybe a touch out of my depth but still have certain beliefs in fate....fate as in good things can happen as well as bad.

However, I will reread your rather erudite reply at some length prior to prior to a more thorough and learned response. :blush:

Interesting though. Cheers

Andy

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Andy said:
:evil: Crikey, I think I'll retract what I previously said Kirstie, read, and then re-read your reply a few times before I get back to you. What I originally said seemed to make sense to me, but I get the horrible feeling that maybe I am mad and that you can now show me off as an idiot. :biggrin: It would seem I maybe a touch out of my depth but still have certain beliefs in fate....fate as in good things can happen as well as bad.

However, I will reread your rather erudite reply at some length prior to prior to a more thorough and learned response. :blush:

Andy

Stick to your guns Andy. I'm with you.
And I really don't care if others think it's bollocks, or some kind of 'loosers' way of rationalising things that we cannot deal with 'rationally'.
Who really knows? Who really cares?
Like religion, if some are happy with it and it's not harming anybody why should others seek to condemn or dissuade?
Enjoy your own reality.:thumbsdown:

Andy

Dayvo said:
I hope things have started to improve for you, Andy! Chin up! :biggrin:

Cheers Dave, "fate", or whatever it is, is starting to improve for me. Will catch up offline at some point and let you know how this year went after we met in Stockholm and enjoyed a beer or three. :evil:

Andy said:

Andy

No don't retract it...(and what does erudite mean?) I wasn't being horrible or judgemental, and I wasn't saying that you were talking bollocks either. What I was trying to say (badly) was that if you're in a hole it's more productive not to think in fatalistic terms - it can be more helpful in the long run. You seemed to be saying that too, so I thought I was agreeing with you. Obviously my expression was a bit too academic (it can be at times) and came across wrong.

Top Bottom