Fate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy

Hi Kirstie, no offence taken btw, and seriously I did read and take on board what you said. Just that with everything that has happened this year I find myself thinking and looking at and about life quite differently. I must be getting mature, maybe time I started acting it at some point. :biggrin:
Keep up the good academic work, I'm often accused of being too serious and a bit the same way. :evil:

Andy

BTW Kirstie, "erudite" - "having or showing profound or learned knowledge". I am sure you can do that on several levels and subjects. :evil:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Kirstie said:
...suggesting that certain things are 'fated' to happen overlooks two simple points. First, that ones actions, however small, have effects; and second, that somebody or something, somewhere, is responsible for whatever it is that has happened

Recourse to fatalism leads to diminished or skewed understandings of cause, effect, consequence and responsibility - and hence 1. workable solutions to whatever problem one is dealing with and 2. valuable learning experiences.

It's also a convenient gloss over some of the less palatable aspects of life.

[puts on tin hat, crouches down behind sofa]
What movements of the stars, which invisible hand has guided me towards reading this post, for now I understand. :evil:

Top Bottom