Father and son killed in French Alps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Terrible terrible tragedy. Those steep valley sides in Chamonix are no place to be walking in winter, there will be frozen snow lying around and some of the trails go along some extremely exposed places. I can't imagine what he thought he was doing, going up there at this time of year, from the reports in the French media it sounds as if they were crossing a gulley choked with frozen snow but wearing only walking boots, with no crampons or ice axes. Vibram soles on ice are a recipe for disaster.

My own son has just turned 14 and when skiing also looks just like the lad who died.

ASC1951

Guru
Apart from sympathy for the family, I don't see this one as a tragic accident. I've done M Blanc and lots of walking lower down where they were - and if I'm on ice or hard snow I take an axe, winter or summer.

This man seems to have taken his son on a summer traverse path which at this time of year needs winter kit. Even if he didn't know the path itself, he must have realised as soon as he got onto the white stuff that he had reduced traction and no way of stopping himself if he went sideways. I'm afraid that in that environment the penalties for stupidity can be severe. The pity is that he has killed his son as well.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was a walking leader in Haute Savoie for Rambler's Holidays and I can see the scenario: they've walked so far and they come to a steep avalanche gully, which they must cross. Don't want to retrace their steps so they try to step across and disaster happens. The Dad tries to climb down to reach his son and the same happens to him. I can see it all so clearly in my mind's eye.

There are dangers in the Alps for which British walkers, even those with Scottish winter experience, are completely unprepared.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think I will stick to my occasional stroll along the seafront.

Biggest danger there is being hit by a ruddy cyclist.

OP
OP
bianchi1

bianchi1

Guru
I was a walking leader in Haute Savoie for Rambler's Holidays and I can see the scenario: they've walked so far and they come to a steep avalanche gully, which they must cross. Don't want to retrace their steps so they try to step across and disaster happens. The Dad tries to climb down to reach his son and the same happens to him. I can see it all so clearly in my mind's eye.

There are dangers in the Alps, for which British walkers, even those with Scottish winter experience, are completely unprepared.

I think that's why this sad tale hits home for me. I too can imagine what happened, and the very thought what the father must have gone through (regardless of fault) is unimaginable. In a strange way it's almost comforting that they are together.

ASC1951

Guru
... I can see the scenario: they've walked so far and they come to a steep avalanche gully, which they must cross. Don't want to retrace their steps so they try to step across and disaster happens. The Dad tries to climb down to reach his son and the same happens to him. I can see it all so clearly in my mind's eye.
Yes, I reckon that's it. Knowing when to turn back is one of the more important mountain skills.

A short axe slots easily down the back of your rucksack and I used to have mine so that I could deploy it on a shoulder loop without taking my sack off. I never minded carrying it all day "unnecessarily".

yello

It's perhaps not surprising that this got some coverage on the French evening news last night.

It does seem as though they ventured out on a trail that ought not be walked in the winter conditions they're experiencing there. The investigation will also look at how prepared they were for that walk but it does look, at this early stage, that they may have got it tragically wrong.

ASC1951

Guru
It's not a question of going out ill prepared and getting it tragically wrong. The daft thing is getting to the obstacle, realising that you don't have the right equipment - because it is blindingly obvious - and carrying on.
All very sad, but IMO not an accident.

Top Bottom