fatigue in days following ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SonofSid

Quick one - Don't know if it's coincidence, but on the days after a long ride (for me, 60 plus miles) I seem to be lacking in energy. No muscle soreness or aching legs, but yawning and lethargic. As i say, could be a coincidence but would appreciate any insights if any are possible. Other than I'm not as young as I used to be...
cheers

e-rider

crappy member
For a day or two after a long hard ride I can feel my legs aching as I walk up stairs etc but otherwise I feel good.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sonofsid are you refuelling after the ride? I find that I too become very lethargic after a long ride if I do not gobble up a stomach full of food as soon as I am home.

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Thanks everyone. Do eat during ride quickly afterwards - usually choc milk, peanut butter on wholemeal straight away and then a meal within a couple of hours, after shower, etc. As i say, muscles feel fine, just an overall lethargy....

jimboalee

Your 'Repair system' is directing blood flow to the muscles in preference to your brain.
Your brain goes into 'couldn't be bothered' mode and stops you doing anything energetic with the muscles that are under repair.

Sometimes, it is so severe, the individual falls asleep, as I did regularly on the floor mats at The Forum gym in Chelmsley Wood.:smile:

OP
OP
S

SonofSid

Thanks again - lukesdad, think i'm drinking enough during (litre or so over 4 hours, half as water, half as sports drink) but perhaps not enough after.
jimboalee - That's interesting. So, even though I'm not aching or sore, perhaps more food or supplements (which I don't use) in the following 24 hours might help.
cheers

lukesdad

Litre of water in 4 hours if your riding hard is not enough. Id at least double that, and you should weigh yourself before you ride and again after,KG lost will tell you how many litres you should be drinking.

jimboalee

SonofSid said:
Thanks again - lukesdad, think i'm drinking enough during (litre or so over 4 hours, half as water, half as sports drink) but perhaps not enough after.
jimboalee - That's interesting. So, even though I'm not aching or sore, perhaps more food or supplements (which I don't use) in the following 24 hours might help.
cheers

Eating the best foods in the world won't accelerate the muscle repair process. Your genetics dictate that.
The food is the building blocks and your system is the team of workers. The quality of the building blocks won't make the workers work faster.

You can however, do things and not eat things to delay the process. How can the workers do any building without blocks?

yello

And thanks too jimboalee from me. Daft as it may sound, I'd noticed that I'm not quite with it mentally on recovery days and had thought I was coming down with lurgy or something. Nice to know it's just part of the process.

lukesdad

SonofSid said:
Thanks lukesdad - will do that this weekend.
Cheers
Just remember to factor in what youve drunk,I.e. if youve lost 2kg and you ve drunk one litre your requirement would have been 3 litres for that ride. Sorry to state the obvious but people forget to do this.

Top Bottom