Fatigue on way home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
When I used to live 4 miles from work and didn't need to lug loads of heavy stuff around, I used to ride to work on average two or three days a week. If the weather was nice and I was in the mood, I rode. If it was really windy, raining, or snowing (rare in London), or I just felt a bit rough, I used to drive or get the bus. There's no prizes for being a masochist and riding in horrible conditions or when you are feeling a bit below par. Cycling must never feel like a chore to be endured, otherwise the motivation for doing it goes out of the window and the temptation is to jack it in.

I’m with you, I’m definitely a fair weather commuter. Finishing work on a Friday and cycling home in just trousers and a shirt in the sunshine is a very pleasant experience.

Tom B

Guru
I'd reiterate everything the others have said. When I returned to cycling I was the same. I first cycled every other day. Then two days in a row a day off and then two days again.. then you do all the days. Mine was compounded by working shifts meaning I was riding home in the small hours.

Remember if you're cycling your burning more calories and so need to eat more. I have some energy gels in my locker. I rarely use them these days but when I was feeling knackered and sluggish I'd have one before starting go get changed. I tend to split my food now and have two smaller lunches a third and two thirds through the day.

Don't forget about hydration again I try to have a glass of water or cordial as I finish.

I now know when my body needs feeding, it's not hunger but a specific feeling. As you ride more you'll learn more about yourself.

Don't underestimate the effects of being generally tired after a day at work. My slowest most horrible ride home was after a 20hr double shift.

Wobbling

Regular
I hate getting technical but if you get an electrolyte drink in early on with the bike when you go to your run your going from shortening your hamstring to stretching it which is your more natural inclination just give it time to balance out

Top Bottom