Faulty Garmin 800?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
Riding out t'other day in temperatures ranging from 0.7 to 1.3 degrees c (according to the garmin). After 10 miles or so the speedo stopped working, it continuously flashed between auto pause and resume and would not tot up the distance travelled. Ive not been able to get out to try since and probably won't until the weekend. Is it possible that the computer simply could not operate in the cold??

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Check the magnet's are triggering the sensor as intended. They could have moved.

OP
OP
frayBentos59

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
Cadence was faulty until I realised the ties were not secure enough around the sensor. That seemed to be working ok after tightening the tags.
Yep, software is fully up to date.
I'll just have to hope the weather picks up over the weekend and pray it was simply the temperature. Failing that it's a good excuse to go mooching around the LBS for a other one :smile:

Thanks for your input guys :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How old it the unit? I have had the same battery in mine for 3 years, riding 200 mile a week with it! Same with the HR monitor.

I would guess either the wheel magnet moved, or the sensor moved if the cadence is working and the speed not. I had a similar thing once, it was the wheel magnet mounted right on the limit and that particular spoke was not quite right or wheel slightly out of true so was only triggering occasionally, hence getting lost of auto pause, auto resume measurements..

OP
OP
frayBentos59

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
Thanks once again for your help :biggrin:

Not sure why I didn't think of this before...durr. I took the garmin with me in the car to work today and everything was working perfectly again. I'm only hoping it was simply the computer not being able to handle the conditions. Before I left I also repositioned ever so slightly the cadence sensor and spun the wheels and that too was picked up.

Not quite sure how old it is but I bought it off a really nice gentleman on here.

Thanks very much guys :biggrin:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Riding out t'other day in temperatures ranging from 0.7 to 1.3 degrees c (according to the garmin). After 10 miles or so the speedo stopped working, it continuously flashed between auto pause and resume and would not tot up the distance travelled. Ive not been able to get out to try since and probably won't until the weekend. Is it possible that the computer simply could not operate in the cold??

Mine works regulary at -15. Cold is not an issue.

Top Bottom