Faulty item out of warranty,options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Drivo turbo trainer purchased from Halfords in December 2018 for £600, it failed with an electronics fault quite quickly and was replaced under warranty. After 15 months the replacement unit has failed with the same fault.
Its an expensive item and has only has light use, I would expect it to last longer than this.
Has anyone any experience of claiming repair or replacement from the retailer for an item out of warranty, quoting the Consumer Rights Act 2015 ( previously the Sale of Goods Act)?

Drago

Legendary Member
Good luck with that. We all know what the store will say, so you'll end up jn an argument with their head office.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
According to Which? You have six years in which to bring a claim against the retailer:
"You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.

This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product".

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a Drivo turbo trainer purchased from Halfords in December 2018 for £600, it failed with an electronics fault quite quickly and was replaced under warranty. After 15 months the replacement unit has failed with the same fault.
Its an expensive item and has only has light use, I would expect it to last longer than this.
Has anyone any experience of claiming repair or replacement from the retailer for an item out of warranty, quoting the Consumer Rights Act 2015 ( previously the Sale of Goods Act)?

Not fit for purpose.

classic33

Leg End Member
Your warranty started with the replacement, it didn't carry forward from the one it replaced.

I've claimed under the sale of goods act under "Satisfactory Quality" and "Fit For Purpose". The second backing up the first. Sixteen months after purchase.

Question you've to ask yourself, and possibly have to prove instore, is how do you know it's the same fault? You've not opened any part you shouldn't to find out.

Hope you paid with a credit card, just take it up with CC company as they share liability so they will take the case up for you - not wanting to actually pay out themselves!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Given that overall the unit has effectively failed twice within 15 months I think you have an excellent case to claim it's unfit for purpose, however I'm not sure how you'd go about pursuing this and from what I've read about other issues with Halfords products / sales, their standard response is ignorance and denial to the last in the hope you'll go away.

Probably no harm in sending them an email setting out the situation in full, quoting your rights, what you expect them to do to redress the situation and the course of action you'll take if the situation is not resolved, however ultimately I think you'll be looking at forcing their hand through the small claims court.

High-profile contact through publicly-visible social media can also be helpful to use the weight of public scrutiny to push them towards doing the right thing, although again I don't think they have a huge social media presence and will probably just ignore you. Might also be worth raising with Paypal too, although I suspect they won't give a toss since it's no longer within the warranty period and a less-than-straightforward claim.

Funnily enough today I had a Halfords chimp tell me the item of failed item of hardware I'd bought from them within the past 9 months was only eligible for replacement under warranty within 28 days of purchase. Once questioned, a 10 second chat between him and his manager confirmed he was spouting b*llocks and my replacement was ordered. I wonder if the kid just didn't know any better or whether they're actually taught this response to fob off the unknowledgeable / conflict-averse consumer..?

Good luck!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've never understood the six year rule.

Practically, all you can do as a first stage is take it back to Halfords and give them the chance to repair or replace it.

They may be reluctant to do either, particularly the latter.

The other thing they may do is try to fob you off to the manufacturer/importer - that's a favourite tactic throughout the bike trade.

Might not be such a bad thing, some manufacturers are quite good in these circumstances.

Madison Shimano replaced my Alfine 11 hub even though I told them it was more than two years old.

There's also lots of stories about the likes of Ortlieb and Hope replacing out of warranty stuff without quibble.

I'm not familiar with Drivo, but you may be as lucky.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I took a power drill back to Argos that went kapput after 13 months... they were more than happy to replace it despite it being a few weeks out of warranty. This was 26 years ago, and the replacement is still going.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I took a power drill back to Argos that went kapput after 13 months... they were more than happy to replace it despite it being a few weeks out of warranty. This was 26 years ago, and the replacement is still going.
I bought a faulty phone back to Argos. They replaced it without even looking inside the box. The sales assistant then said, "See you again."

I think some Argos employees must be running a scam. They get their mates to bring back 'faulty' goods. Their mates then get a refund and the 'faulty' goods end up on ebay.

Top Bottom